Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally have been able to ride my new wing. Weather has been lousy since I got it. Only 300 miles on it but I love it so far. Only question I have is how hot should the seat get and how long does it take to warm up?

The grips heat up fast, and I can't leave them on Max long. The seat - I don't know if it's in my head but it just does not seem to be heating up as I expected it would.

I ride about 20 miles to work and with the seat on Max, it just does not seem to be getting warm or hot? How far should you have to ride to feel an increase in temp?

I am about ready to take the seat off and see if I am getting juice to it, or if it may be unplugged?

Any clues would be appreciated. The manual does not say anything about length of time before it should feel warm to hot?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If either the grips or the seat won't work-neither will heat-so if the grips work, the seat is.
Now, what is the ambient temp when you are trying to use the seat?
The warmer the ambient temp the less you will feel the heat from the seat!
In cool temps, I have to run mine on max to feel much of anything.
In cold temps, below freezing, after approx. 5minutes I have to start turning it down!
Can't explain it, that just how mine seems to operate.

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Right on, deputydawg. At or around 65 * the seat heater will NOT come on. The grip heater is not affected by ambient temp. Our good member " budoka " confirmed this in a post a little while back. And I have confirmed it myself. If your riding in the low 40* and below you will notice a pleasant warm feeling where it really matters.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
On my 09 I ride with temps in the 30's and 40's and the grips and seat heat up quickly with no problems. I have not used either in temps over 60. Kind of seems like a waster of energy at that temp..

·
Registered
31 Posts
I recently purchased my 2010 Wing from Cycle World in Cherry Hill, NJ. I live in the Pocono Mountains of PA but could not cut a deal locally and needed to travel to NJ in order to save money for two tuition payments! Cycle World supposedly "installed" a CB for me as well. After coming home I ordered a J & M helmet mike from NA Warhorse in Scranton. Trying to activate the CB I kept getting "CB ERROR". I called the salesman at Cycle World who told me "he doesn't deal with that" but did refer me to service who related "well it should work". The service manager at NA Warhouse immediately took the seat off and found the CB harness plugged into God only knows what. He also said, "As long as I have the seat off I might as well plug in the seat warmer and handlebar heaters!!" That being said you better take the seat off and MAKE SURE everything is correct!!!!!! Good Luck

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Just goes to show you, there aren't very many good Gold Wing mechanics out there. That's why I do all my own work. What every little there is to do on a Gold Wing anyway:D

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
That's why I do all my own work.

I'm with you Joe "once a mechanic always a mechanic" I try to do everything I can. Not because I'm cheap (although the money savings are a benefit) but that I know I'll make sure it's right, but then again I do all my own work on my house & cars as well.

Now that being said, I will say that some things you just need to have a good shop to rely on, especially when it comes to specialty tools & such.

To all the guys in Pa. or nearby. I can tell you & some already know if you need a good shop That Specializes In Wings go to the guys at Lebanon Valley Cycles. They do a great job & really know Wings.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to all for the lesson on how the seat heater works on my GL1800! Too bad the owners manual does not tell you it works based on ambient temperature. Makes sense now. I have some 10K resistors so I am going to try the mod provided in this post.
And I also agree with you guys - I prefer to do all my own work. Then I know it's done right, or who is to blame when it's not and I save some $$$. Plus good excuse to buy new tools!
Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts