Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Following a disappointing ownership experience with a Kawasaki GTR1400, I've finally bitten the bullet and got one of these fabulous Goldwings.

I've wanted one of these for years, but never been able to afford one. Having come into some unexpected money I thought that with the Kawasaki PX, and a large amount of cash, I could finally afford a nice new 2009 Wing. I got this from Branston's in Yeovil with only 3 miles on the clock! It went back in 7 days later for the 600 mile service and now after a couple more weeks it now has well over 2,000miles on it!!!!!

I regularly ride from Somerset to Scotland, 500 miles each way, and cannot believe how comfortable the bike is, I've been caught in some really bad summer downpours and the weather protection is first class. Handling is fine for such a big, heavy machine and economy is fine at normal speeds (45-50mpg) but it can get a bit thirsty when "making progress" (35mpg).

Very happy all round with the bike and looking forward to many more miles. Anyone have any advice on tyre wear rates or any problems that I should be aware of? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Ride safe.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the board and congrats on your new Wing from across the pond. The best advice I can give you is try to keep the smile off your face while riding the best touring bike made. Ride safe and enjoy the trip...

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hi & welcome. If you have the dunlop stock tires they should last about 14 to 15K miles (or about 19,000 Kilometers if my math is right). I have never got less than 40 MPG and have gotton as high as 50 mpg on my '08.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nothing like riding on a wing

Hello from Southeast Texas,

I ride my 2006 daily, up to 42K miles. This bike rides like a crotch rocket. Scraping the pegs in the twisties, cruise contol @ 90 on the superhiway, 6000 miles in 16 days pulling the Bushtec, the lsit goes on. I wouldn't own anything else. Still get the ribbing from the "HOG" owners. But their wives look in dismay when they see my wife chilling on the back of the wing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi ShakyD, like Ronzilla says, style and comfort,man, style and comfort. We recently rode 2600 kms in 6 days with a few metric v-twin riders. The lads were crippled at the end of the day while the little lady and I could have gone all night....riding, that is. This machine is something else and you really can throw it around on the twisties. Good luck to our British friend. By the way, what is involved in getting my Wing to europe for a tour ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm a new member to the Club and have a GL1800 2001 with a sidecar, a big wide one. My partner and myself travel extensively around Europe and are planning to go again to the Czech Republic at the end of June which will be about the 9th time 200 miles beyond Prague. We have been to the bottom end of Spain and Gibraltar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pic of Outfit

I'm a new member to the Club and have a GL1800 2001 with a sidecar, a big wide one. My partner and myself travel extensively around Europe and are planning to go again to the Czech Republic at the end of June which will be about the 9th time 200 miles beyond Prague. We have been to the bottom end of Spain and Gibraltar.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fuel Consumption

I always fill up the bike to the brim and the most fuel I can get in is 23 litres so much for the 25 litres in the handbook. The furthest ditance that the bike has done in miles is 226 and was breathing fresh air I am sure but managed to get to a filling station OK. I wasn't bothered as I carry a can which doubles up for our multi burner stove. For you guys in the Sates you cannot buy fuel in UK in gallons, hence my quotes in litres. 41/2 litres to an Imperial Gallon, so the outfit performs quite good using a steady right hand. 50/55 mph.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Canada mark. As you have no doubt discovered, nothing chews up the miles like a Wing.
Strat

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Welcome from another Canuck Mark. Tyre pressure is the most critical aspect for wear I think. Under inflation can cause cupping (as can improper balance) and overinflation causes premature centre wear. I run 41 in the front and rear and ride fairly aggresively, but my 1800 is too new to tell, only 6k on the clock. Enjoy that baby! I hope you didn't get hosed on the price of that service at 600 miles, because no matter what they told you it isn't part of the service schedule. Unless they did it gratis that is.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My first outfit

My first outfit was a 1949 BSA A7 500cc & Watsonian chair. This black and white picture was taken in 1959 was taken outside my place of work. In the next picture same location 49 years later just before we went to Czech Repulic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts