Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2009 goldwing new in 2010. I have traveled from Boston to Alaska, Florida, Colorado and Sturgis. I wash the bike on a regular basis but the rear rim has serious pitting and discoloring. The dealer says it is because the 2009 model did not have clear coat on the rims. Of course the issue isn't covered under warranty. I would think Honda would have learned something from all the years of using aluminum rims. Am I the only one with this problem? Does anyone have an easy fix for this issue?

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Powder coating is one option. I tried a coating of " Acrylic Floor Shine " on mine once, but was not impressed. Your experience may vary if you want to give it a try.

·
Registered
43 Posts
same problem here on my 2010. They fixed the problem in 2012, guess we get to polish wheels several hrs a year or look at aftermarket options.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I use Eagle 1 wheel cleaner on mine, seems ok so far, and mine's an '09 too

·
Premium Member
1,880 Posts
Elbow grease and a dremel tool and you have to spray them off every time you ride. Mine look terrible.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My 2010 is the same. I can't see it when I ride and when parked only one side is visible so I walk around the other side. My front rim I use mothers and it shines. The back is a waste of time trying to keep clean.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is the only ugliness problem with my 2010. Just bought it with 3,000 miles on it and the back rim is a disaster. Can I get a new rim for a price that will not break the bank? It is kinda embarrassing and need this fixed uo.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Automotive Clear Coat -

Hey Larry, I've heard that some owners have had their wheels resprayed using one of the new acrylic automotive clear coat paints with the hardener added in. The problem is that to have the rims come out looking like new, it takes a lot of prep-work to remove and strip everything off the wheels.

By the way - when you rode your bike to Alaska, did you travel up through British Columbia, Alberta or did you take the ferry along the coast ?

Good Luck on your wheels, Michael :)

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I have a 2010 rim and tire looks like new to me , but maybe it is because it's in the shop with the rest of the back end ! Triked her out in 2012 LOL

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Get you a set of chrome wheels from Buck Huddle on an exchange deal. That's what I will be doing in the near future. If you want his number send me a PM.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I use some alum. brightener (acid) to wash the wheels down, taking care not to get it everywhere and not too long, then any kind of alum polish. Can't tell you which is best as they all do a pretty good job.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts