Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience using a MP3 or iPOD with the auxillary jack. On my new Wing, the jack was already out through the grommet which is contrary to the manual. When I hit the dash button, there in no indication on the display that it is on. So the dealer and I suspect its not connected under the fairing. Assuming thats the problem and its going to be corrected, whats the experience using these devices been like ? And what about controling the players ?

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... I HAVE MINE SET UP TO USE MY GPS AND OR IPOD ... THE MOST IMPORTANT THING I SEE PEOPLE DOING IS FOOLING AROUND WITH THOSE TYPE OF GOODIES WHILE " DRIVING " DON'T DO THAT !!! IT WILL KILL YOU ... NUFF SAID ... I'M NOT SUGGESTING THAT YOU WOULD DO THAT ... GUESS IT MUST BE A PET PEEVE WHEN I SEE PEOPLE RIDING OR DRIVING AROUND TEXTING ect. ... HAPPY TRAILS ...

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You've seen people texting.....on a bike ? Now that is crazy. Ronzilla, I love the classic rock radio stations (I'm in my 40's, unfortunately, I look like I'm in my 50's) but on a long trip the radio frequencies keep changing so I'm always looking for the next classic channel. So I bought a little MP3 player for the auxillary. Its designed to clip onto something but I don't think the cord from the auxillary will reach the dash anywhere. So I'm figuring on just setting it to shuffle and ride on down the blacktop. I'm a newbee to the Wing ridin' and was interested in others experience. By the way, Crater Lake Oregon is one place I have to get to....someday on a trip across Canada I'll ride down for a look. Thanks.

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... Actually I Haven't Seen Anyone Texting But Have Seen Riders Talking On A Cell Phone Stuffed Up In Their Helmet ... I Have Preset Radio Stations On My Wing And Have Reached Up And Hit A Button ... With My Ipod A 2 Gig Unit Holds Plenty Of Music For My Trips ... I Really Like The Shuffle Mode You Mentioned ... When You Get To Oregon I Will Give You A Personal Tour Of Crater Lake And Surrounding Areas ... Also Sent You A Private Message ... Check It Out ... St. Johns ...

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
On my 09 I use an IPod. It just plugs into the cord in the left pocket. I then push aux and the music plays. As far as I know there is no readout on the Goldwing display for the Ipod. Everything is controlled by the display on the IPod.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got my 09 and I tried to hook up an apple IPOD the apple had a three ring plug on it I went and purchased an MP3 and it only had two rings on the plug and has been working great. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Hi Two Wheel, does the digital display say AUX ? The same as if you had the audio, cb, etc turned on ?
Yes. The plug on the Wing for the IPod is really like the kind you use for headphones. It just runs the sound from the IPod through the bike's speakers. The volume is controlled either with the IPod or the bike audio.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an 09 and have used my Apple I Pod and just plugged it into the cord in the front pocket, hit Aux and it played great. Unfortuneately, all controls are on the IPod so setting it on shuffle is a great way to go. Ride hard and ride safe!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Hi Two Wheel, does the digital display say AUX ? The same as if you had the audio, cb, etc turned on ?
Pauncho: Yes it should come up as Aux on the display. If it doesn't your aux cable just might not be connected. You can do it yourself, but it can be a bit frightening (you have to remove the fairing trim and take out the pocket to access the pigtail). I would take it to the dealer since he should certainly do it for free if your bike is new. I use a Pioneer Inno XM MP3 and it's great now that I have the external antenna hooked up; it suffered from directional dropouts with the built in antenna. My memory may be not what it used to be, but does anyone else think the audio system on the 1500's (mine was a "92) was a bit better than now?

·
Registered
3 Posts
IPHone hooked up with AUX

Okay, so on a related note, I hook my iPhone up in the faring pocket for music and it works great either through the speakers or through my helmet headset. One question: does anyone know how to get the iphone to "auto-answer", because several times I've received calls during a ride and with the com/headset, I could easily take a call if the phone would "auto-answer". I used to do this very thing with my old phone, but I have not been able to find a setting for the iPhone to do it. Anyone?:confused:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the info gang....very helpful. I just said to the wife that I've learned so much from this site. However, when I hit the AUX button, nothing appears on the display. Big Blue Kate (I named her for the character in the John Wayne movie "The Quiet Man". Before you movie buffs give me crap, I know the characters name was Mary-Kate!) is going in for her first maintenance this week so the lads at the shop will hopefully fix this for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
adapter

I just got my 09 and I tried to hook up an apple IPOD the apple had a three ring plug on it I went and purchased an MP3 and it only had two rings on the plug and has been working great. Hope this helps.
You can get an adapter from the apple store for $10 that will make the plug compatable.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I tried my ipod with the AUX function and it worked great, I only wished it could control more than the volume. My wish came true when I found the Sound Gate set up. It uses the wiring and controls for the optional CD changer. I can now skip forward and back on the album, change albums all through the handlebar controls. As an added bonus it charges the ipod. The only thing it doesn't do is list song and album informaton. I got mine through wingstuff.com, but I am sure you can get it from other suppliers as well.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
Yeah, I agree. My 1500 audio system was much, much better than the 1800's. I think that the old fashioned analog controls (knobs and buttons) beats the electronic stuff on board now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ha, that’s funny. The wife started calling the bike Carol because of the nav system voice and it stuck

Use an ipod and love it, but I must admit that I occasionally pop open the pocket to hear a song again.

Thanks for the info gang....very helpful. I just said to the wife that I've learned so much from this site. However, when I hit the AUX button, nothing appears on the display. Big Blue Kate (I named her for the character in the John Wayne movie "The Quiet Man". Before you movie buffs give me crap, I know the characters name was Mary-Kate!) is going in for her first maintenance this week so the lads at the shop will hopefully fix this for me.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Yeah, I agree. My 1500 audio system was much, much better than the 1800's. I think that the old fashioned analog controls (knobs and buttons) beats the electronic stuff on board now.
I thought the sound system on my 1500 was better too. maybe it was the auto volume or the ambience setting, but whatever, I think it 'sounded' better in some ways. The new system is a cleaner sound at the speakers especially when listening when you are stopped/parked, but there is more wind/traffic distortion when riding. The mic on my Arai ff helmet is waaaay more sensitive to traffic and wind than my old Hondaline helmets and stock headsets and mics were. Didn't even have the terrycloth wind socks on the open boom mics on that bike, just the foam covers they came with.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts