Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Wing with just over 3200 miles posted. I have lately noticed the transmission does not go all the way into 5th at times. It will some times engage and then pop into a false neutral, or stay in 5th gear but the OD light does not come on. It also seems to be a bit clunky when shifting gears. Has anyone else had transmission problems on the 08 models, or any of the 1800 years for that matter? I thought I would try to get a little back ground information before I went back to the dealer.

I first thought I may have been a bit lazy on shifting, but have been looking for that and have still experienced the issue.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The tranny on most Gold Wings will clunk going into gear, I would say make sure it is all the way in gear and if you are still having trouble than take it to the dealer for warranty work. There has been a lot of tranny issues with 06 Gold Wings but haven't heard of any with later years. Do you have a heel toe shifter ion the bike? If you do, take it off before you take the bike to the dealer, some dealers will void the warranty if you have a heel/toe shifter.
I see you live in Anaheim, what dealer are you using ?

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I've had a false neutral in 5th gear. I also looked to myself as the problem. It felt like it hit into gear and then comes nothing when you hit the throttle. Only happened to me twice so far as I can remember, and I remember it happening on the same highway entry ramp. But I'm on guard now to find a pattern with the bike or myself. That's all I know right now.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response. No heel toe shifter. I bought the bike from Huntington Beach Honda, but I haven't approached them about this yet. I am going to call JBJ and see if they have any insight.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Damn... I see a whole bunch of members with white Goldwing avatar photos having transmission problems. Sure hope this is a transmission issue and not paint code related! :D

Just another good reason to buy the extended warranty!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The tranny on most Gold Wings will clunk going into gear, I would say make sure it is all the way in gear and if you are still having trouble than take it to the dealer for warranty work. There has been a lot of tranny issues with 06 Gold Wings but haven't heard of any with later years. Do you have a heel toe shifter ion the bike? If you do, take it off before you take the bike to the dealer, some dealers will void the warranty if you have a heel/toe shifter.
I see you live in Anaheim, what dealer are you using ?
I had almost the same problem. A friend that also rode a GW told me to chk the brass bushing in the clutch lever . When I did i found that it had worn completly through and had to be replaced. It cost about 7$ and problem fixed . I now have 96000 on my bike and still riding .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts