Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2008 or 2007?

3K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  tfdeputydawg 
#1 ·
Hey all,

Y'all are helping me a lot! Thanks! I've found a 2008 I'm looking at as well. A couple questions.

1) GW 2008 with 6,500 miles or 2007 with 11,000 mile? The 2008 has a backrest, luggage rack and new grips. 2007 has had the 12,000 mile maintenance done, two new tires and has 2.5 years left on extended warranty. Both bikes are the premium stereo model (no Navi, ABS, heated seats/grips.)

2) What is the value or what do y'all think about the extended warranty? I've never had any extended warranty on any bike.

This is my first Goldwing (moving up from the VTX 1300.) I have a 500 mile one-way trip coming up with my riding group and I wanna travel in STYLE! So, any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks All!

#2 ·
There was not a great difference between the 07 and 08 models. And there does not seem to be a great difference in mileage, so for me I would choose the one that I liked best, assuming the prices are equal.

As far as the extended warranty, since I'm not a handy guy with a wrench, except to routine maint like oil changes and such, I personally would not be without it. It's probably the one reason I moved up from my 98 GL1500 to the 09 1800. When I had my 1500, I had "oil starvation" to one of the cylinders and the extended warranty covered everything ($2,400). You can get the extended warranty at any time as long as its before 3 years of the bikes purchase.

#3 ·
The mileage is not a big deal, the 08 is worth more because it's a year newer, but if the 07 is a lot cheaper get that one. The Bikes are the same, no changes in 07 & 08 except for color. So if color matters go for the one you like best. Extended warranty can be purchased from HondaDirectLine for $499.99.

#4 ·
Agree with most everything already mentioned. One thing to be very cautious of with extended warranties (HondaPlus included) is they don't cover user operated electrical stuff: switches, control knobs etc. Internal compnents yes, but not the controls. Most dealers/sellers will never tell you that at the time of purchase. My wife cancelled the extended warranty on her Acura RL for that very reason and got her money back.

#6 ·
How long the tires last has a bit to do with luck as well as how you ride. Two of the tires I've replaced weren't worn out--I found nails. Around 8,000 miles has been my experience, but that figure seems to vary widely based on what I've read on line.

#7 ·
I have 8k on my original tires and expect to run them until the end of the season and replace for next year..

#8 ·
10k miles on my '09 as of now, look about 40% left, but I doubt they'll stay on for more than 15k. Not bad I think, especially the way I get with the throttle at times. With luck they'll go the rest fo the season. I've got the whole wheel replacement for the back, but will have to take the front in to get done and it's wearing about the same as the rear so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.