Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just bought a 2008 GW and it is great bike. It has the x-owners names on the trunk in a font slightly larger than pin striping. How do I remove the names? By the way new to the forum and thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Ok I have heard you can use easy off oven cleaner to remove that type of pin striping.

I have not tried it so I do not know if it works. Maybe try it on a small spot first.

If it does work then after you do it....wash the area really good and dry it and then put some wax on the area to remove any "ghost" images for the name.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I'd try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser first if it’s painted on

·
Premium Member
578 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A big thanks

I will try the easy off later this week when I have some time. Thanks for the info guys

·
Super Moderator
7,608 Posts
When I had the names of the former owners names on my 1500. I had taken the Wing to a local automotive painter and they removed it without harming the original finish, they buffed the trunk lid and you'd never know that names were there.
I was told that PVC pipe cleaner would remove the lettering but I didn't get a chance to try it.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Make sure you test in a unseen spot! We used easy-off on fiberglass boats to remove lettering but the wings are painted. Check with your local body shop to see if they have anything.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Follow-up on removal of painted names on trunk

I sprayed on the easy off oven cleaner on a small area to see if it would ruin the clear coat finish on the trunk and fender.
It worked like a charm. Took a few passed but it all came off. What is left is like shadows where the paint was applied in 2008. Difference of a shade of the color. Took a ride to see a body shop guy I know to see if it could be wheeled out. He told me it couldn't, if anything it had to be repainted. It is very hard to see if you don't know where to look so I think I can live with it. Want to thank you all for the help with this, it now feels like my bike not one with the PO names on it.
I don't think I would ever put anything along the lines of names on a nice bike knowing that someday someone else could own it.
Thanks again:D:D:D

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
I sprayed on the easy off oven cleaner on a small area to see if it would ruin the clear coat finish on the trunk and fender.
It worked like a charm. Took a few passed but it all came off. What is left is like shadows where the paint was applied in 2008. Difference of a shade of the color. Took a ride to see a body shop guy I know to see if it could be wheeled out. He told me it couldn't, if anything it had to be repainted. It is very hard to see if you don't know where to look so I think I can live with it. Want to thank you all for the help with this, it now feels like my bike not one with the PO names on it.
I don't think I would ever put anything along the lines of names on a nice bike knowing that someday someone else could own it.
Thanks again:D:D:D
You may want to take it to another body shop. Not saying anything bad about the 1st guy but, My 95 when I bought it was loaded with some gawd awful, scrolly, swirly, crazy color scheme striping on it. (You may be able to tell that Fossil likes a clean non gawdy look.:eek:)

I digress. One of my coworkers had worked in a detail/body shop, brought up his buffer/equipment & 3 hrs later you could never tell that anything was there. I had heard the EasyOff thing but went this route instead.

He did have to wetsand the striping/swirls, wash, apply buffing compound & then buff the clearcoat back to life. You won't get the shadow off the clearcoat of the striping just with EasyOff it will need to be buffed out.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

·
Registered
178 Posts
You may want to take it to another body shop. Not saying anything bad about the 1st guy but, My 95 when I bought it was loaded with some gawd awful, scrolly, swirly, crazy color scheme striping on it. (You may be able to tell that Fossil likes a clean non gawdy look.:eek:)

I digress. One of my coworkers had worked in a detail/body shop, brought up his buffer/equipment & 3 hrs later you could never tell that anything was there. I had heard the EasyOff thing but went this route instead.

He did have to wetsand the striping/swirls, wash, apply buffing compound & then buff the clearcoat back to life. You won't get the shadow off the clearcoat of the striping just with EasyOff it will need to be buffed out.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.
have to agree with this. I have been able to clean up some pretty nasty stuff with a decent buffing. but it takes compound and knowledge of how to. but a detailer, would def be able to get that shadow off

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
I am go to touch base with a detailer on Monday to see if he can clean the shadows up.
The key is they need to be wetsanded & the clearcoat has to be buffed back to life. That is the way for best results. Not sure how costly it will be for you.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper just to cover it with a pin stiping or decal that you like to cover the shadow.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The key is they need to be wetsanded & the clearcoat has to be buffed back to life. That is the way for best results. Not sure how costly it will be for you.
Dependant on the chems used to put on the striping in the first place (because there are more than one), I dont think they will have to wet sand. some of the compounds used can do the trick. I have or had 3 different levels of compounds for something like this depending on how much you had to go down. some of the detailers (or one that knows their business) will MOST LIKELY be able to take this down with a buffing. The additional plus is, when they are done, man that thing is going to shine like new.

Here is an interesting by note that I found on striping one day. the tape on kind. the adhesives used (and this may not be any more because of technololgy improving and I am talking 15 years at least), but they would seep not only into the clear, but the paint. you simply couldnt get the line out. that, was a repaint. so a hand done work, you could buff out, the cheap tape stuff would ruin your paint. go figure.

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Dependant on the chems used to put on the striping in the first place (because there are more than one), I dont think they will have to wet sand. some of the compounds used can do the trick. I have or had 3 different levels of compounds for something like this depending on how much you had to go down. some of the detailers (or one that knows their business) will MOST LIKELY be able to take this down with a buffing. The additional plus is, when they are done, man that thing is going to shine like new.

Here is an interesting by note that I found on striping one day. the tape on kind. the adhesives used (and this may not be any more because of technololgy improving and I am talking 15 years at least), but they would seep not only into the clear, but the paint. you simply couldnt get the line out. that, was a repaint. so a hand done work, you could buff out, the cheap tape stuff would ruin your paint. go figure.
Bob thanks for the clarification, got a bit overzealous. Of course you are correct that it may be able to be buffed out, the key is to find a good person to work with. The worst case scenario would be some wetsanding & buffing.

When mine was done it looked like it rolled off the showroom floor. It was a worthwhile task.

Oh and no GAWDY pin striping.:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update on my shadowing problem : Rode to a good detailer I have used before and showed the ever slight shadows that were left after the removal of pin striping. He said that it was below the clear coat and not all the buffing in the world would get to it unless you remove the clear coat. Then you may as well just paint the whole thing. Looks like I will leave it as is. Can't really see it unless I point it out, but I know it is there.

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Thanks for the update & that tells the story of putting nonsense on a bike doesn't it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pin Striping

I won't be putting any of that nonsense on a nice looking bike anytime soon. My friend said just put you names over it and no one will see. Well if I want someone to know my name I will tell them or they can ask.
Thanks all and I hope everone learns a lesson in all of this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts