Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I had just did my 28K mile service, switched to the K&N filter (what a project getting to the air cleaner) and started to ride the Gold Wing. It was not present at first (I don't think) but I now sometimes hear a pinging sound or per detention.

It sometimes is not present at all and sometimes it is. Now anyone who has attempted to replace the air filter knows what I am talking about, it is a job all by its self.

I use regular grade fuel as the Owners manual states 86 or higher. Any suggestions as to why this is happening...?

Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Mine pings as well ( only under a load) with all the "corn" in the gas. I run the mid grade "89" octane & it seems to help.

I don't think the air filter has anything to do with it.

Mark

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Mark,

I did think so. I was sure I put everything back together as it was from the factory. Yes ONLY under a load does it sometime ping. I am now just wondering if the fuel company(s) are adding an additive to cause this. I don't recall the wing doing this prior, or maybe I just did not notice it.

Do you suggest a higher grade for a short time..?

Thank you for your time Mark.

Kevin

·
Registered
674 Posts
How many miles have you put on the bike with the new air filter?

How dirty was the filter you removed?
What kind of riding do you do?
If you putt along and go for frequent short trips, the pistons may have built up some carbon, if you add a dirty filter to the mix it will speed up carbon accumulation. Now that you have a new filter the computer took a little while to relearn the settings leaving you with the proper air fuel mixture.

If you suspect that any of this happened or if it sounds like exactly what has happened.
You could try some mechanic in a bottle like sea foam the guys here love that stuff it's like crack for your bike. Or you could try an upper combustion cleaning agent let it soak then fog out the neighborhood, After the smoke clears replace the plugs and enjoy your new ping free Wing.
The other more fun way is just drive it like you stole it for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many miles have you put on the bike with the new air filter?

How dirty was the filter you removed?
What kind of riding do you do?
If you putt along and go for frequent short trips, the pistons may have built up some carbon, if you add a dirty filter to the mix it will speed up carbon accumulation. Now that you have a new filter the computer took a little while to relearn the settings leaving you with the proper air fuel mixture.

If you suspect that any of this happened or if it sounds like exactly what has happened.
You could try some mechanic in a bottle like sea foam the guys here love that stuff it's like crack for your bike. Or you could try an upper combustion cleaning agent let it soak then fog out the neighborhood, After the smoke clears replace the plugs and enjoy your new ping free Wing.
The other more fun way is just drive it like you stole it for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

How dirty was the filter you removed? <---- you could still see plenty of light through it.
What kind of riding do you do? <-----All kinds of riding.... Mostly highway..

How about Marvel Mystery Oil...?

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
kevin,

I would just try the 89 octane & see if it gets better. Give it a tank or two & see.....It might cost a buck more a tankful & it might just cure the problem. Mine does it ALOT LESS with 89 octane.

As for the Marvel Mystery oil....heck NO...I only used that to help unstick rings and such on old sitting motors. Or to lube my air tools.
Mark

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kevin,

I would just try the 89 octane & see if it gets better. Give it a tank or two & see.....It might cost a buck more a tankful & it might just cure the problem. Mine does it ALOT LESS with 89 octane.

As for the Marvel Mystery oil....heck NO...I only used that to help unstick rings and such on old sitting motors. Or to lube my air tools.
Mark
Thanks very much Mark, I shall try the highter grand a t least two tanks and let you know.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
6,722 Posts
Not a problem Kevin, I'm glad to help.

On the re-learn,all you do is start the wing up & dont touch anything.....let it run till the cooling fans come on & then cut off the wing.....Restart & you're done.

What Knelson said is possible as well....but in my opinion not in this case. Not alot of miles & you drive mostly highway.

Mark

·
Registered
739 Posts
If you have already run the bike after replacement of filter you must start over with relearn! This means turning EVERYTHING OFF, disconnect battery for about 5 min, then restart and wait till cooling fans come on. DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING during this!

·
Registered
620 Posts
How dirty was the filter you removed? <---- you could still see plenty of light through it.
What kind of riding do you do? <-----All kinds of riding.... Mostly highway..

How about Marvel Mystery Oil...?
I have used it for years. My Dad (Ex dealer and a well respected mechanic) sweras by it. I use it in the gas every n3rd tank full and inn the oil about 100 miles before an oil change in my 95 aspy. Worked wonders in a bike with 170,000 miles.
Secondly, use only a good brand of gas. Eg; Exxon, Texico and so on.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Goldwing engines are designed and built to run on 87 octane (regular) pump gas. I use non-ethanol fuel wherever possible but it's getting harder to get almost everywhere you go. The re-learn should do the trick for your ECM and mixtures.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not a problem Kevin, I'm glad to help.

On the re-learn,all you do is start the wing up & dont touch anything.....let it run till the cooling fans come on & then cut off the wing.....Restart & you're done.

What Knelson said is possible as well....but in my opinion not in this case. Not alot of miles & you drive mostly highway.

Mark
Here is an update.... I was on my way to work (the military base) 98+ miles one way, and decided to open it up, putting a load on the engine, and it had NO ping whatsoever. I fueled up at Quick Check and wouldn't you know it...I had the ping come back on my way home. I noticed the new fuel had about 30 or so miles on it so I am "guessing" that the grade is fine as you guys indicated. I am now turning towards the brand....:eek:

Kevin

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.