Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a bike that had the front plastic hit by a passing deer.
The slider that the windshield is bolted to in the middle was bent in a bit but with a little adjustment with a vicegrip it slides smoothly now.
My problem is the 2 outer pads that suck up against the windshield and hold it in place are the only ones touching when I push down the side clamps. One of the inner pads sits away from the windshield about 1/8 inch when in the locked position. The 2 outer ones are not gripping that strong either. I can move the windshield with relative ease when in the upper position especially. Has anyone else had this problem and what is the solution. Any pictures would really help
Bill

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Have you had the front nose off to look at the mechanism? Here are two videos by F-4 Windshields showing removal :

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have had the nose off. I am going to get a service manual of some sort and go over the parts. I have looked at both videos but they only cover windshield change not guts. Those are the only videos I could find.
Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok guys here is how to fix it.
On the honda parts picture of the windscreen and its components there is a aluminum spacer marked " 20 " on each side of the windshield. It is 3/4 of an inch long on mine. If you pivot the mirror tward the front of the bike and move the rubber you can see it. Take the spacer out and make it shorter. It is simple but take care not to drop the nuts or the spacer in the maze of plastic and wire
I took about 1/8 of an inch off on one side and about 3/16 on the other. If you do take to much off the spacer you can always add a washer so dont freak out about it. The pressure on the windshield before I cut the spacers down was such that the windshield moved sideways freely on the down position and was darn near free sailing when up position.

The rubbers not all touching at once was solved by just bending part " 12 " a bit, on the same diagram ,to conform with the arc of the windshield.
It now holds and great in all positions.
Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts