Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to move from my 2007 ST1300 to a 2007 Goldwing.

Is there anything specific about the 2007 GW that I should know?

I'd hate to do the deal and then have someone tell me I should have bought an '06 or an '08 because (insert unexpected reason here).

Also, I'm a 6-footer. Had to make all sorts of adjustments to the ST, but as far as I can tell I might be OK on the Wing as is. Comments?

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
I have an 07 GW and 05 FJR 1300. It is the truth that the bike you see (Goldwing) is not the bike you will be riding. The GW is way more nimble than it looks. My 07 has not had a problem at all except for paying for tires. Its a big bike so slow speed stuff is much harder for me than on the FJR. The only real complaint I have about the 07 is that 1st gear is "jumpy" as hell. I have found it hard to have smooth take-offs in first. Just a touch of throttle makes it go from idle to 2000 rpm instantly. I am used to a slow but steady throttle roll on and that occurs in every gear except 1st. So, I just use 2nd most of the time. Other than that one problem, I have had no complaints at all. 37 mpg with regular and the speedo is off by about 5 mph. I just live with that and have had no problems. If its a Navi model, you might find that aggravating as its not the best. Looks, fit and finish are all very nice. I think you will like the 07. Best bet is to try it out first for fit. I find it very comfortable at 5'11 and 230 lbs. Go for it...in my opinion....

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
By 07 the "bumps" had been ironed out on the Goldwing. It's a great bike with lots of accessories to make it your own. Smooth for touring with get up and go for the twisties. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Ride safe...

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I'm 6'2" and 215 and had no adjustment issues at all with my '05 Wing. I do have a Kuryakyn backrest which I enjoy, especially on long trips, as well as highway pegs which are nice for stretching out the legs. My previous ride was an '06 VTX 1300R and I could feel the extra 150 lbs on the Wing at low speeds, but it corners and handles extremely well--better than the VTX IMO.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, everyone. I had a chance to ride the '07 GW, and I loved it.
Now I understand what all the fuss is about.
Then the dealer told me what he could give me for my ST.
Bummer.

As it happens, he's already holding three STs, and I think he gave me the price that means "only if you're desperate" - and I'm not.

So i'll keep looking. But now I know what I want, anyway. Thanks.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Tim, average for an '07 ST is about $7k (not sure what year yours is or what model) you can add about $500 for ABS. Deduct $500 for every year older, add $500 for each year newer. Realize that this time of year. Most dealers are going to lean closer to rough than average value since there's a good chance it will sit there over the winter unless they can price it very attractively. Clean or mint isn't likely in the picture at this point of the season. Best best for you is Kijiji or such since you're dealing with retail for your ST, not wholesale at a dealer.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Sell your ST yourself and then buy a Gold Wing. Or if you have the money buy the Wing and sell the ST later. There are always a bunch of great buy on Gold wings around. Make sure you check the service records.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tim, average for an '07 ST is about $7k (not sure what year yours is or what model) you can add about $500 for ABS. Deduct $500 for every year older, add $500 for each year newer. Realize that this time of year. Most dealers are going to lean closer to rough than average value since there's a good chance it will sit there over the winter unless they can price it very attractively. Clean or mint isn't likely in the picture at this point of the season. Best best for you is Kijiji or such since you're dealing with retail for your ST, not wholesale at a dealer.
That makes sense, except that I am surprised the number is so low. If it depreciates that fast, it's almost as heavy a hit as the insurance. The only thing I can do is get out riding to bring the cost-per-mile down to a reasonable level!

I wanted to avoid private sale because of the HST - but when I am not getting much for the ST on a trade that is much less of a factor than I thought.

I guess I'll put a new front tire on the ST, sell it myself - next spring if I must - and then join you folks.

Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts