Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a local 2007 Goldwing for sale with 99k miles that has an odd stumble when initially started and can not be safely ridden until the motor is at operating temperature. Once it is warm the motor revs fine, accelerates nicely and cruises without a miss.

The owner has maint receipts showing that his dealer has looked at the problem several times to replace an assortment of sensors, plug vacuum leaks, correct wiring connections, etc.... with little (if any) improvement. A service tech recommended that he might try a 3rd party ECU Reflash because a replacement computer was quoted to be around $800. Guhl Motors is one of the reprograming sources.

Since a Reflash changes some of the operational instructions in the computer ROM (Read Only Memory) chips, has someone had any experience or perhaps any recommendations - other than waiting 10 minutes each time before riding off. :)

Ride Safe - Michael

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
an ECU reboot seems help mine for a while..... put bike on center stand, start it with out touching anything, let idle until fans come on, shut done immediately, wait at least 5 min. Done

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Might want to try an ECU(ECM) reset. It is suppose to return the computer to factory default settings.

Here are the steps that I follow to reset the ECM on the Goldwing:

Make sure the engine is cold and has sat for at least 5 hours, overnight is best - Start the Goldwing, but DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE - Allow the bike to idle until the engine warms up and you hear the radiator fans turn on - After the fans turn off, turn off the ignition - Restart the bike and That should do it.

I think it is advisable to do a reset whenever you change your air filter or spark plugs.
information from TheGLForum

This is worth a try as it does not take much to do and does not cost anything, if this doesn't work you're not out anything, I hope this helps,
GOOD LUCK

edit: seems dsurley and I were writing the same thing at the same time, I'm just a slower poster than him.

Reactions: budoka

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Hehe, no worries Jim, great minds do think alike, just not always in sync with each other >:)

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ECU Reboot -

The ECU reboot procedure has been tried several times to resolve the stumble when cold - in fact the last trip to the dealership was when their service tech mentioned the ECU ROM Reflash services of Guhl Motors.

Just wondering if anyone knew anything (Good or Bad) about this procedure.

Ride Safe - Michael

1 - 5 of 5 Posts