Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the dealer because I suspected a slow leak in both tires. I thought maybe the valves were bad. Tech's told me the rear tire was cupping badly. I thought Bridestone's held up better than this. These are Bridgestone Exedra G704's.

·
Administrator
15,528 Posts
I had fairly good luck with that tire. They last around 16,000 miles for me. But if you don't keep the pressure up religiously they will not last as long. I had the same experience with a set of tires on my previous Yamaha and they wore out around 6000 miles or so. But I wasn't watching the air pressure close enough. The next set doubled that when I checked them very often and kept it to max. Just my experience.

Reactions: Smitty225

·
Registered
189 Posts
Any tire can cup out. Some variables that I’ve learned accentuate it are compromised steering components and worn suspension items As well as air pressure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any tire can cup out. Some variables that I’ve learned accentuate it are compromised steering components and worn suspension items As well as air pressure.
Just like a car I had. The front end had some damage that was cheesily repaired. The front tires would wear out before I'd get to my next payday.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
from my experience with the wings since '08....... tire pressure and balancing
keep the tire pressure correct and use beads or something that keeps the tires balanced.....
and one can hold the cupping off much longer and get lots more miles out of the tires
doesn't matter the brand

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from my experience with the wings since '08....... tire pressure and balancing
keep the tire pressure correct and use beads or something that keeps the tires balanced.....
and one can hold the cupping off much longer and get lots more miles out of the tires
doesn't matter the brand
Looks like I'm going to spring for a set of Centramatics wheel balancers and some FOMO TPMS sensors.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
beads are cheaper! and they are reusable of you can gather them back out of the tire

I found a local car tire shop that will do m/c mounting.... and they use beads in some car tires to start with
so they just dump some in and the same cost of any tire balance

Reactions: Freedom

·
Registered
177 Posts
beads are cheaper! and they are reusable of you can gather them back out of the tire

I found a local car tire shop that will do m/c mounting.... and they use beads in some car tires to start with
so they just dump some in and the same cost of any tire balance
Cheaper isn't always the best. If cheaper was better, we'd all be riding scooters instead of $30K motorcycles. Yes, they are cheaper but the beads also have some faults. They can get stuck in the valve stem when checking pressure. They can mess with some tire pressure monitors. And who wants to "gather them back out of the tire" to reuse them? Not me. Centramatics are installed once for the life of the bike or until the owner removes them. For me, the Centramatics make more sense.

To the OP, almost every tire I've used on 4 different goldwings over the years have cupped. The cupping usually showed up between 4,000 and 7,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Cheaper isn't always the best. If cheaper was better, we'd all be riding scooters instead of $30K motorcycles. Yes, they are cheaper but the beads also have some faults. They can get stuck in the valve stem when checking pressure. They can mess with some tire pressure monitors. And who wants to "gather them back out of the tire" to reuse them? Not me. Centramatics are installed once for the life of the bike or until the owner removes them. For me, the Centramatics make more sense.

To the OP, almost every tire I've used on 4 different goldwings over the years have cupped. The cupping usually showed up between 4,000 and 7,000 miles.
for the most part I totally agree with you
that is why I own a lot of pro/commercial grade equipment and not homeowner grade stuff out in my shop

but on the beads vs centramatics, I came close to buying the centramatics...... but when I did the calculations of $ vs $$$$
I would never break even, all the reviews..... people were getting similar mileage improvement and total miles from tires either way
the only downside was the possible TMPS issue.... but mine didn't like to work all the time anyways, I don't like that it doesn't tell you the actual pressure, they don't work with the lower pressures running a CT on the rear, so..... for me it was the beads. The possible getting a bead in the valve stem, mine came with valve cores with filters on the end ( I bought the big bag for doing a set of truck tires, was cheaper than the piddle amounts they want to sell for M/Cs and it is the same product) plus, habit from years of checking tractor tires with water in them, I drag out the air hose and give them a quick shot before putting a gauge on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts