Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at this trike, took a test ride , the first gear seemed to growl the noise dissipated when shifting to 2nd. What's going on.. and is this an expensive fix? Thank you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Are you sure it is growl and not gear whine, also have you tried running first year under load, then decelerating with clutch engaged, then decelerating in first year with clutch disengaged. Listen to see if there is any difference in the sound and report what you find maybe the people here can help you . Wish you luck.

·
Premium Member
23,498 Posts
There are many words to describe the sound of a Goldwing transmission, some of them can't safely be posted here. When my 2008 was young it would " growl " or " rumble " and sounded like a bad bearing when first started after a nights rest. With age that has disappeared.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I get to ride quite a few GL1800's and have also owned a few. Most are pretty quiet from a transmission standpoint however I have ridden a few with growly transmissions. They seem to be fine just a bit noisy and continue to be fine for many miles and years. I have also owned Valkyries that howled in 4th gear and some that didn't. I am sure it's all about oil :)

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Welcome to the forum Cindy and I hope the responses you have and will continue to get will give you some insight to what is going on.

·
Administrator
26,011 Posts
Might not be the transmission at all Cindy, could be driveline related from the conversion. I'd get an independent mechanic to have a look (wouldn't be free) if the owner will consent to it.
Welcome to the site.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts