Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I have a 2003 and was riding Sunday and got back home just about dusk dark and notice that my headlights were not working (hi or low beam), I know there were working 15 minutes prior to getting home. I have checked the fuses and they are good. I am not getting power to the hi or lo relays under the seat. I ran a temp. wire from the + side of battery to coil on relay and they come on. Looking at the wiring diagram, the only thing between the fuse and the relay coil is a diode and I find it very hard to believe that the diode (if I could find it) is bad. My book shows a picture (not a very good one) of where it's suppose to be but I have yet to find it. Anyone else ever had this problem? A diode is only something to direct the flow of power in 1 direction only such as a check valve would do in other applications.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Did you check for any loose connections or plugs?

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Oh, and welcome to the forum from Pa. Ride safe and enjoy the site. Nice folks and info on here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the welcome, I have checked all the plugs. The head light comes on when you mash the reverse button, which is a different circuit, so I don't know. If I could locate the diode I could check power in and then see if I am getting power out. I may not be getting power to the diode and if I could locate it to see if I did or not, then I would know which way my problem lies, before or after the diode. I'm will be doing more checking tonight, I had to stop last night due to other commitments, I was hoping I wasn't the 1st w/ this problem and there was a quick and easy answer, but I really didn't expect it to be easy. Most gremlins aren't. Thanks for your response and look forward to more discussions on the forum, hopefully w/o hunting a problem solver. Have a good day from SC. Charlie

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Try spraying contact cleaner into the starter button.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Joe, great advice, I sprayed the contact cleaner on the starter button and I found that it was sticking and not completely returning to the "out" position and that was the problem. Thanks alot for that info.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
Joe, you are like the Mr Wizard of Wings. Great call...

·
Premium Member
11,001 Posts
Welcome from Adelaide. Anything electrical is not my strong point. Thanks to Joe because I wouldnt be much help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts