Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a new battery and when I rode the bike and used the front brake lever my radio and display disappeared. When I released the brake lever, a few seconds later it all came back on. I'm not sure where to start? Any help would be appreciated - thanks.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
If the Only thing you've done is to Change the Battery, make sure your connections are really clean and tight. Might be as simple as poor contacts.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't ridden the bike for a while and it had sat, I had to recharge the now replaced battery several times and the last time it would not hold a charge, so I replaced the battery thinking it just had a bad cell from sitting, being recharged and etc. Then when I replaced the battery I noticed the display issues. Now that I think about it, I wonder if I shorted something out trying to charge the battery while it was installed in the bike and had the charger in "start" setting.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
It sounds like a ground problem to me. If you have a questionable ground connection causing a restricted current flow. Then apply the brakes, the elements in the brake lights are a very low resistance, compared to the rest of the electronics on the bike. current is going to flow to through the path of least resistance, possibly robbing the display and radio of the required current to operate. When all the connections are good and current flow is not restricted no problem. A poor connection is like putting a resistor in the circuit, restricting current flow.
I supposed you could have caused so damage if you left the charger on the start position, but check those connections first.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Does it do it with just the front brake lever? Did you replace the battery with the same amperage battery? If it dosen't do it with the rear break lever, that kinda eliminates the brake lights. When you press the front brake lever, watch the headlights and see if they dim. You might have a battery that just can't supply enough current. Does it start OK? Thats my 2 cents.
Isaac

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you shorted something and blew a fuse, it would not work sometimes.

I would say the battery is no good, or you have a bad cable, and or connection.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Make sure the new battery is fully charged before installing it in the bike. Many times a new battery does not have a full charge and it does strange things to the Wing. My $.02...$

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's possible new battery was not fully charged - I will charge it, reinstall and see what happens?

Yes - it did only happen with the front brake lever - I did not think to look at the headlights - will do that too.

I was po'ed that day and just wanted to go for a ride.

I will check for loose grounds if charging the battery does not work.

I appreciate all the great ideas - thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE: I looked for loose or obvious wire isssues while the battery was charging, remembered some brass washers that came with the battery I had set aside just in case, installed the battery using these brass washers (about 3/16" thick"), instructions said to use if using side terminals, because of bolt length on side terminals I presumed. Bike started like it normally should, I squeezed front brake lever, rear brake pedal and had no issues. I grabbed my wallet to go to get some gas and test ride wearing shorts and T shirt. Everything seemed to work fine so I will be riding again.

What I think happened was the bolts bottomed out before getting the battery cables tight causing the short.

Thanks again for all the advice and help - I will keep updated if other issues arise.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
What you found was not a short, but rather Highly resistive connection, restricting or limiting current flow. Had it been a short (zero resistance to ground) the battery probably would have been ruined by now. I think posts 2,4, and 6 pretty well explain what was happening. That said. I'm really glad you found your problem. Sometimes it's the simple stuff that causes the most problems.
Something I learned in Air Force Radar School; If it don't work right AFTER you fixed it recheck your work.
Again Glad you found it.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts