Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Usually just lurk and read but a couple weeks ago the wife and I went to the local dealer open house and they had 8 used wings there and we really liked a 2003 and 2009. The 2003 was immaculate and only had 12,000 miles on it for just over $13,000 withh tons of after market chrome. We were really interested in the 2003 but it was raining and no test rides. I was told by a few others that the 2003 and earlier models had frame cracking problems. Can someone tell me if this is correct or not. Thought the price was a bit to good to be true as well. The 2009 went for $16,000 Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
That is correct about frame recall's. I have a 2002. The dealer can look up the Vin# to see if has had the recall checked. I love my 02.....so don't be afraid of the 03 as long as the recalls have been updated. If they have no record of the recall, then don't fool with it.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
parttimr although that was an issue Honda has the program in place & continue to make it right. As the Ref said it can easily be checked & actually I'm sure one of the other guys will jump in with this but I believe after completing the recall correction the frames are marked.

I personally would not be afraid to buy the 03 although it wouldn't be for the chrome (yuuck gawdy - Sorry Ron can't help myself). Take the Wing for a ride & then decide.

On a side note, if that one doesn't really "sing" to you don't fret there are plenty of nice Wings out there keep searching if need be. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
parttimr although that was an issue Honda has the program in place & continue to make it right. As the Ref said it can easily be checked & actually I'm sure one of the other guys will jump in with this but I believe after completing the recall correction the frames are marked.

I personally would not be afraid to buy the 03 although it wouldn't be for the chrome (yuuck gawdy - Sorry Ron can't help myself). Take the Wing for a ride & then decide.

On a side note, if that one doesn't really "sing" to you don't fret there are plenty of nice Wings out there keep searching if need be. Good Luck.
Ya gotta just keep picking at me don't yaa:D

Like, what's been said have the dealer check it for the recall confirmation.
And don't listen to the Fossil, Safety Chrome is good.:eek::)

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
You can check for the frame repair yourself if you look at the VIN tag on the left side of the fork crown just below the left handlebar. There will be a punch mark on the left end of the tag if the repair has been done by Honda techs. Honda still goes good for the fix if there is no mark showing and any dealer can run the VIN and see if any particular Wing is affected.

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can check for the frame repair yourself if you look at the VIN tag on the left side of the fork crown just below the left handlebar. There will be a punch mark on the left end of the tag if the repair has been done by Honda techs. Honda still goes good for the fix if there is no mark showing and any dealer can run the VIN and see if any particular Wing is affected.
1300R...VTX?
The punch mark is supposed to be in the lower-RIGHT corner of the VIN tag....here's a link to a recall bulletin for the frame welds:
http://www.goldwingdocs.com/Docs/Ho...o 2003 Frame Weld Inspection Recall-E7990.pdf
Click or Copy/Paste the link into your browser....If it doesn't work, you may have to register and login to gain access at the www.goldwingdocs.com website.
Steve F

·
Registered
674 Posts
Crack kills, plumber cracks are unsightly. However to find a 03 Wing without the recall being completed I would find hard to believe as most Wing owners are responsible and would have brought their bike in for a major recall like this one. A simple run of vin number would reveal if the campaign has been completed.good luck on your quest.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I had an 02 and loved it, bought an 08 and never worried about the frame cracking anymore. Check and see if the frame re weld is still available from Honda, there is a difference in a recall and a service bulletin. The frames on some 02 & 03's are cracking in places other than the place Honda did the recall for. Some are cracking behind the passenger floor board and on the cross member under the seat. If it was me I would but the 09 for $16,000, sounds like a good deal.
Now I have to say that many 02 & 03 wings have gone many years and many miles with no problems, just the 09 is worry free.
My 02

My 08

·
Registered
64 Posts
I got an '07 Goldwing with ridiculously low mileage- essentially brand new last September for $14,800. Burnt orange wasn't my favorite color choice, but it grew on me. You only go 'round once, pal. Go for it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.