Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have mentioned this in a couple of post but haven't noticed a reply. You guys mention...many times...that the 02's have possible frame issues and overheating problems.
Questions:
1. What can I do to check on the frame issues?
2. Are there certain mileages I can look for overheating?

I have had no problems and have 47,000 miles on my wing....6K are mine.
Thanks in advance
Phil

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Oops! You can have your VIN# checked at a dealership to see if a frame warranty was performed on the bike. Somewhere out here in cyber space there is a picture of the infamous " crack " . I'll dig for it later.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scary looking stuff....I will check that asap!!!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
If there's any comfort in it, Honda will cover the repair as long as the bike is in service, there is no timeor mileage limit if your bike hasn't been done and is affected. I'd gladly look up your vin# here, but I can only get ionfo on Cdn released models, you need a US dealer to check if your vin is affected. As I've mentioned before, there will be a punch mark on the rh side of the vin sticker if the repair has been done by Honda.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got off the phone with my local dealer and he says all recalls have been updated. Thats a relief....now I can worry about the overheating.
Thanks for the help guys!!!:)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Were the bad welds all in one location on the frame or were there several places were you could find one. I assume that the welds were done by robots?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
CR, Honda never said what caused some of the bikes to fail but not others. All the failings occured in blocks of serial numbers and the number sequences are known. The years are 02,03,04.
I had to have my 04 welded ( it was not cracked ).Basically on an uncracked bike the welding build ups the metal in the 2 areas known to crack. There were a few total failures ie, busted frames, several cracked frames (same spot) and mostly guys like me had to take bikes in for welding. Honda paid for all of it and you had to leave the bike overnight to cure. Any certified aluminum welder could take the job. Mine was done at a Honda dealer by a contracted welder. All is well, I have had no problems and have never heard of a problem with a welded bike failing.
Honda once said there is no heat problem because they had never lost an engine due to heat failure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts