Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, first post in the GoldWing arena;

I currently ride a Suzuki M109R2, which I really enjoy. My wife likes to go riding with me every chance we can get away from the house. Being this is the case, we have discussed taking a long trip around the western part of the states. Now, I know my M109R2 is not really designed for the long haul, and we both know that this would not be the bike to do this type of trip on.

I've come across a GoldWing that is for sale in my area,

The potential bike:

1. Honda GoldWing 1800
  2. Asking price: $10,500
  3. Mileage: ~27k
  4. Condition: Appears like it has NOT been dropped, a few scratches here and there from riding gear, nothing major
  5. Tires: Little over a year old, and appear to be in good condition
  6. Riding Boards
  7. Front and Rear Corbin Heated Seats
  8. Current owner is the "second" owner
  9. NO ABS on this bike
  10. All service records accounted for
  11. Reason for him selling; he is getting deployed overseas for two years, and feels that somebody else could enjoy this bike. He has had it since it had 16k miles.
Here are some pictures

MY QUESTIONS for the GoldWing Forum members:

1. Is this a good purchase?
  2. Are there any things I should be aware of, concerning this model year?
  3. Transmissions issues in this year?
  4. Are there recalls that I should "absolutely" ensure are done?
  5. Are there better models out there, with fewer factory issues, for about the same price?
  6. Any other ideas about this model?
Things about me. I'm a very competent mechanic, just see my website and see what I've done with my '99 4Runner, and M109R2. So when it comes to mechanical issues I can pretty much handle just about anything. So pulling the bike apart is not really a bid deal for me, but I don't want to have to perform an engine rebuild or re-do the rear end......

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello steve welcome to GWOF. check and see if he had any recalls taken care of may be a good starting point

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
First of all, welcome to the site Hunt4Steve. Hard to tell for me since I'm from Canada, but the price is what I would say a "clean" bike would go for. My experience is most "clean" units are usually "average" but Wings can be different as they are usually very well cared for; beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Second, take the vin # to a dealer and have them search for the frame recall being done, and there was also some engine heat issues with that series of Wings. That should all show up on the unit search as warranty/service recalls. Obviously make sure all the features and functions are operable, and check the usual things as you would any used bike: fork seals, suspension, wheel/axel bearings etc. Pop the side covers off and take a look around for signs of fluid seepage etc (not likely but you never know). Take the bike for a test ride if you can and leave the sound system off for the ride so you can listen for any untoward sounds. If he won't let you ride the bike, maybe he will take you as a passenger. Certainly don't leave without at least hearing the bike run, and shifting into and out of gear. The transmission should engage with a fairly authoritative clunk into first, but no grinding; and it should disengage cleanly back into neutral. If the engine isn't properly warmed, the clutch will be a bit sticky as it shares the engine oil (temperature sensitive) so that is not a sign of problems. 1800's have a certain amount of gear whine in the tranny, and the alternators are noisy to some people (mine isn't in my opinion, but it varies). Other than that it should purr like a kitten and be smooth as silk. Hope it works out for you.

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
First, welcome to the GWOF from PA. The price seems about average for a low mileage bike. Early Wings had issues with overheating and frame cracks. I would get the Vin# and take it to a Honda dealer and have him check to see of the recall was done on the bike. If no recall was done, then I would have him check the frame for cracks. Wings from 2005 forward seem to have less problems but will be more expensive. You seem to be handy with a wrench, so regular maint on the Wing should not be an issue for you. The 1800 engine can easily go 200k miles or more without major problems and minimun maint.

Good luck and hope it works out for you....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies.

I asked if he had had any recalls done, and he stated (being the second owner) that he did not have any recalls done. This is something I will need to check into with the VIN and the local dealerships. I attempted to get the VIN from the frame, but wow, it's really tucked in there. I could only see a few of the last numbers......

Engine heat, hmmm, this could be an issue for me, since I live in the high-desert. Our temperatures get up into the 100 degree marks during the summer.

Frame recall, another issue to check the VIN on with the local dealers. Where are the cracks appearing on the frame? I'd like to look myself if its not too difficult to get to.

Are the side covers easy to remove with no tools? I'm hoping so, I don't want to start dismantling the bike right there in the parking lot with a bag of tools next to me, as the owner stares at me, mouth agape.

I'm scheduled to take the bike for a ride on Friday morning. My wife will be with me so she can get a feel for the difference between my current muscle/cruiser bike and the Wing.

One last question; How do I engage the reverse gear?
Is the engine supposed to be running, then shift into reverse?
Is the engine off, in neutral, and then use the starter to engage reverse (so I've heard)
I'm not quite sure how this would work.....

Again, thanks for your responses......

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
That seems to be average asking price for an 02 even around here. You could get one for less but it will have more miles. I wouldn't worry about heat being an issue I live in central Tx and it's never been a problem for my 1500. If it were an air cooled enging you'd roast. I don't know too much about the 18's yet because I don't own one, and I'm waiting to see the 2013 model year big changes should be due if rumors prove true and wing history repeats. Anyway here's a link that shoould help and maybe give you a coulpe more questions to ask.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/used1800.htm

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hey steve you can contact a dealer and have them run the vin# to see if any recalls were done

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, those frame cracks are pretty serious. And, of course, the consequences of experiencing a cracked frame on the road could be deadly. I've requested the VIN number from the owner to see if this bike has had the recall done. If it has not, I'm wondering if the price is right, considering after a purchase the bike will likely spend about a month in the shop getting fixed up again. And then, there is the question of, "did the socket-jockeys" actually do a good job of welding the patch plates on.......

Its got me thinking that maybe I should look for a 2005 or newer......

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Just fyi Steve, my contacts at Honda Canada tell me that even if the recall wasn't done, Honda is still on the hook to do it as long as the bike is still in service. check with a US dealer to make sure it's the same down there, but it should be.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just fyi Steve, my contacts at Honda Canada tell me that even if the recall wasn't done, Honda is still on the hook to do it as long as the bike is still in service. check with a US dealer to make sure it's the same down there, but it should be.
Thanks.

I'm still waiting on the owner to cough up the VIN number to further research this issue.

In the meantime, I started looking around the NM dealerships for used GLs......found one that was pretty well setup and not too bad of a price.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks for your replies.

I asked if he had had any recalls done, and he stated (being the second owner) that he did not have any recalls done. This is something I will need to check into with the VIN and the local dealerships. I attempted to get the VIN from the frame, but wow, it's really tucked in there. I could only see a few of the last numbers......

Engine heat, hmmm, this could be an issue for me, since I live in the high-desert. Our temperatures get up into the 100 degree marks during the summer.

Frame recall, another issue to check the VIN on with the local dealers. Where are the cracks appearing on the frame? I'd like to look myself if its not too difficult to get to.

Are the side covers easy to remove with no tools? I'm hoping so, I don't want to start dismantling the bike right there in the parking lot with a bag of tools next to me, as the owner stares at me, mouth agape.

I'm scheduled to take the bike for a ride on Friday morning. My wife will be with me so she can get a feel for the difference between my current muscle/cruiser bike and the Wing.

One last question; How do I engage the reverse gear?
Is the engine supposed to be running, then shift into reverse?
Is the engine off, in neutral, and then use the starter to engage reverse (so I've heard)
I'm not quite sure how this would work.....

Again, thanks for your responses......
Get the ser# call any honda dealer they can check if the bike has been serviced for recalls. I have an 02 with 81000 milesw and I would not sell it for less than 10500 good buy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Get the ser# call any honda dealer they can check if the bike has been serviced for recalls. I have an 02 with 81000 milesw and I would not sell it for less than 10500 good buy
Sooo, in your experience, the shop welded on truss plates over the potential cracking areas?

Did they weld trusses on areas that did not have cracks, but have cracked on other GLs, as a preventative measure?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine was one with the recall ser#S they checked very closely and the bike was fine. The other recall was ECM which they replaced other than that no issues. You can check yourself as well put on center stand get a flashlight and a mirror and you can see if there are any cracks. B ut if honda has seen the bike it will either have been fixed or didn't need it. and I pulled a bunkhouse trl for about 50000 miles no issues. Those that have been welded they weld everything contract welders no sweat

Your other questions reverse bike running push in reverse neutral light will turn amber then just hit starter to back up.
I'm a Shriner and have made many parades they get a little warm but no issues.
Run a 50/50 synthetic blend oil
Side panels just pop off.
Check fork seals see if you see any moisture. I have replaced mine at about 75000
Run your tire pressure front and rear the same I run at 41Lbs best for tire wear.
If he hasn't done it change out stearing head bearings to tapered bearing much better less tire wear
Hope this helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts