Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the specifications listed that it holds 6.6 gallons of fuel. Is that correct?
When I fill up I fill it up into the small filler neck about 1/3 of the way up. As full as I can get it without making a mess of spilled fuel.
I typically get 41 to 42 miles per gallon.
When the fuel gauge reads almost completely empty after around 200 miles, I stop to fill up and it usually only will take 4.6 to 4.8 gallons. Do I really have another 1.8 gallons of fuel in the tank?
If so, I can go another 70+ miles before running out.
Is that your experience?
Do you watch the fuel gauge or go by mileage on the trip meter?
Thanks for your suggestions or advice!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I see the specifications listed that it holds 6.6 gallons of fuel. Is that correct?
When I fill up I fill it up into the small filler neck about 1/3 of the way up. As full as I can get it without making a mess of spilled fuel.
I typically get 41 to 42 miles per gallon.
When the fuel gauge reads almost completely empty after around 200 miles, I stop to fill up and it usually only will take 4.6 to 4.8 gallons. Do I really have another 1.8 gallons of fuel in the tank?
If so, I can go another 70+ miles before running out.
Is that your experience?
Do you watch the fuel gauge or go by mileage on the trip meter?
Thanks for your suggestions or advice!
Yes sir, same here. Identical operation as what I have experienced.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes sir, same here. Identical operation as what I have experienced.
So do you believe you still have a gallon or so of fuel when the gauge reads empty? That's what it seems like to me. I'm guessing Honda is conservative with their gauge to keep people from running out of fuel.

·
Registered
121 Posts
That is my belief but I still stop for fuel when that little light come on. Usually by then the bladder needs to be emptied or the stomach needs to be filled so it all good.

·
Super Moderator
11,755 Posts
None of my GoldWing's fuel gauges have ever been accurate.

Reactions: hpbcrillo

·
Registered
830 Posts
On my previous 2004, there was about a 1.6 gal in reserve when the light came on. Yes , the gauge showed near empty, but the fuel light was not on. One time I drove another 45 miles and the bike took about 6 gallons.
Also, do not fill til the gas is in the neck. That's overfilling it. It can cause fuel to get into the evaporative cannister.
Fill to just below the neck.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
on my 2013..... which also holds 6.6 gallons............ I have filled it up just as the light comes on.......... and it always takes 5.4 gallons.........
I have then also taken a gas can with with me and let it completely run out........... and it does indeed hold 6.6 +/- a few ounces........
so for me......... it has 1.2 gallons when the light comes on
the gauge is really close to showing empty when the light comes on (truck and car 1/8 tank when light comes on, 4.5 gal and 2.5 gal respectively)

·
Registered
830 Posts
on my 2013..... which also holds 6.6 gallons............ I have filled it up just as the light comes on.......... and it always takes 5.4 gallons.........
I have then also taken a gas can with with me and let it completely run out........... and it does indeed hold 6.6 +/- a few ounces........
the gauge is really close to showing empty when the light comes on (truck and car 1/8 tank when light comes on, 4.5 gal and 2.5 gal respectively)
They changed the reserve amount on 2012-2017 to 1.1 gals +/-. My 2012 takes just about 5.5 when the light first omces on. Of course it depends on how you fill it. I do it just to the bottom of the filler neck. Another 1/10 gals isn't much.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, that's great information!

·
Registered
643 Posts
I would not suggest doing this, but I got into a little trouble once and couldn't find fuel. Kept riding and put 6.7 gals in the tank. Can't remember the miles. I do as most of you said. I run about 220 miles or a little more unless pushed and rarely do I pump more than 5 gals and change. I have wanted to put a gallon jug in the trunk and run until it quits but haven't done it. There can be some dirty stuff in the bottom and I have been just too lazy to do it. Being almost 70 precludes me riding for 220 miles without stopping so what is the point unless you get into a tight like I did.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ran my '06 trike so low I was REALLY sweating. The low fuel light had come on at 1/4 tank reading. It was pegged at the bottom of the guage for about 10 miles. Filled it to the bottom of the filler neck with 6.3 gallons. That said, I would say the 6.6 listed in the owner manual is pretty accurate. Haven't had it long enough to totally vouch for the fuel guage but my sense, thus far is, mine at least, is pretty accurate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts