Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Some of you already know that I'm new and still practicing with my permit on my 1999 GW 1500SE trike . . . I seem to be having a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd - I'm constantly getting hung up in neutral and having to get back to 1st to go to 2nd - I'm told I am doing it wrong. Can someone please tell me then, what I am doing wrong? This especially is a problem when I'm at a stop sign, start to go and can't find 2nd!!!! If there's someone right behind me, I get nervous. What am I doing wrong here? 2. Just had crankshat replaced and I'm hearing a noise I'm not sure about - sometimes, not always, when I'm in a higher gear - 4th or 5th, when I let up on throttle or sometimes downshift, I hear a sound like when I was a kid and put a playing card against my bicycle spokes, only sounds more metallic. Does this sound important enough to have it checked? I don't want to ruin my bike, so any ideas will be well taken. Please forgive me for being so green - I'm trying.:confused:

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Being new to motorcycling and new to a particular motorcycle and having something make noise is probably the most frustrating thing in the world.

I am not experienced in trikes. I do know that when I attended a gathering of Wing riders (GWRRA annual roundup) I had an electrical problem and I was immediately helped by knowledgeable members who knew what they were talking about. There were plenty of trikes at the rally.

I was fixed and on the road and it costs me nothing.

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
Do you have a heel-toe shifter or stock? It sounds like you aren't getting all the way into gear.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Goldwings with either two ar three wheels have a reputation for being difficult to shift (clunky) from first to second. It takes practice and real good technique to shift them smoothly. Proper timing of throttle release, clutch pull and shifter lever (or h/t) co-ordination is what it takes to smooth it out. Short shifting (lower rpm) from 1-2 is the best way to get the 'feel' of shifting the Wing. The higher the rpm at shift point, the more critical/difficult it is to have the tranny mesh smoothly. Don't be nervous about your seemingly inept shfiting your trike, we were all rookies once, and all of us went through it;). Not sure about your grinding noise though, I'd have a seasoned rider or tech have a listen to that before it turns into something costly or a breakdown. There's a difference between mechanical noise and untoward noise.:eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a stock shifter - i'm going out to practice some more and keep on trying to get it right.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Make sure you are pulling all the way up with your foot from first to second gear. There is, for lack of a better definition, a space between first and second which is where netural is found. You may only be pulling the lever until you feel the first indent (which would be neutral) and not making it to second. Give it a try and let us know how you make out...

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
don't try to be gentle when shifting especially 1 to 2nd.
the muscles in your ankle and foot can't hurt it so shift harder. you will find out later that you get lazy and you start having problems.

also, as you come to a stop, down shift accordingly. in other words, don't wait until you are stopped to try to hammer the shifter from 5th to 1st while at a stand still.
at 35, I go to 4th, 25 mph to 3rd and so on. This also gives you the ability to hit the trottle if something happens and you need to get out of the way. acceleration can help you escape danger as much as braking depending on circumstances.

If you feel this is working you to death, you will get used to it and it will become natural.
don't give up.

I have heard similar complaints of noises that you describe where the forks inside don't really find the next gear and hang up somewhere inbetween. Not sure, but my bet is if you will find that aggressive side of you emerge for awhile, the problem will disappear.

BTW, sitting still at a light or in a garage is very hard to shift. It likes to be moving.
Find an empty parking and work 1 and 2 and I bet you get it right.

Lastly, don't know what speeds you are shifting. I suggest you get 3000 to 3500 rpms when you shift. Shift hard and see what happens.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Make sure that when they installed the trike kit, that your shifting lever was not installed to high, if it is it may be hitting the case at the uper end of your shifting motion. This would show up especially going from first to second. You can check by using your hand to lift the lever and look to see if it hits at the top.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have big feet and occasionally don't drop my toe down far enough after shifting up a gear, you have to make sure the shifter lever goes to it's "neutral" (I don't mean neutral on the tranny) position so it will catch the next gear when you pull up on the shifter.

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
With the large 'space' between 1st and 2nd gear and to avoid missing the gear when I get ready to change gears I exert a light pressure with my toes on the lever and then shift the gears and it helps avoid getting into neutral.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
the muscles in your ankle and foot can't hurt it so shit harder. you will find out later that you get lazy and you start having problems.
Sounds like great advice,..... BUT......I'm sure there is a misspelled word in there somewhere.......LOL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you all . . .I went out on my .9 mile dead end road and practiced shifting 1 to 2 for 2 1/2 hrs this afternoon (30 miles???) and the last 1/2 hr I finally realized what I was doing! I was being way to gentle with my foot!!! Got a little tougher and lo and behold . . .no neutral!!! I guess I got to stop being such a softee - I'll be taking my roadtest pretty soon and I want to feel comfortable on my bike. You people are great! Thank you again and again.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Sounds like great advice,..... BUT......I'm sure there is a misspelled word in there somewhere.......LOL
Well, I am going to blame this on spellcheck. That's my story and I am sticking to it cause frankly, well that was pretty bad advice.

Gypsy, glad you can interpret and
it is great you are working it out. Sounds like you are mastering the bike.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
That was a tough one. I read it twice and glanced right over it. Apparently, that word is so familiar it can easily slip by unnoticed.
thank god f and t are next door neighbors. I can easily claim I had fat-finger-itis.

·
Registered
422 Posts
the muscles in your ankle and foot can't hurt it so shift harder. you will find out later that you get lazy and you start having problems.

also, as you come to a stop, down shift accordingly. in other words, don't wait until you are stopped to try to hammer the shifter from 5th to 1st while at a stand still.
at 35, I go to 4th, 25 mph to 3rd and so on. This also gives you the ability to hit the trottle if something happens and you need to get out of the way. acceleration can help you escape danger as much as braking depending on circumstances.

If you feel this is working you to death, you will get used to it and it will become natural.
don't give up.

I have heard similar complaints of noises that you describe where the forks inside don't really find the next gear and hang up somewhere inbetween. Not sure, but my bet is if you will find that aggressive side of you emerge for awhile, the problem will disappear.

BTW, sitting still at a light or in a garage is very hard to shift. It likes to be moving.
Find an empty parking and work 1 and 2 and I bet you get it right.

Lastly, don't know what speeds you are shifting. I suggest you get 3000 to 3500 rpms when you shift. Shift hard and see what happens.
I never knew this. I am guilty of being gentile on shift sometimes and sometimes I start to crank down thru gears as stop as approaching and not letting clutch out. Forums are great for informations. Sorry for digging up the old threads. This one gives me the insight.

·
Registered
114 Posts
1. Some of you already know that I'm new and still practicing with my permit on my 1999 GW 1500SE trike . . . I seem to be having a problem shifting from 1st to 2nd - I'm constantly getting hung up in neutral and having to get back to 1st to go to 2nd - I'm told I am doing it wrong. Can someone please tell me then, what I am doing wrong? This especially is a problem when I'm at a stop sign, start to go and can't find 2nd!!!! If there's someone right behind me, I get nervous. What am I doing wrong here? 2. Just had crankshat replaced and I'm hearing a noise I'm not sure about - sometimes, not always, when I'm in a higher gear - 4th or 5th, when I let up on throttle or sometimes downshift, I hear a sound like when I was a kid and put a playing card against my bicycle spokes, only sounds more metallic. Does this sound important enough to have it checked? I don't want to ruin my bike, so any ideas will be well taken. Please forgive me for being so green - I'm trying.:confused:
I did install that part on my GW and the result is fantastic.The shifting is smooth and no more miss shift.
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_shifter_pivot/158744/200181

1 - 20 of 21 Posts