Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to doing some camping without a trailer and was considering a 2 person tent, but it has to be able to fit into trunk or side bags on the wing. Anyone who has tried this would love to hear from you with your recommendations or links. thanks.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
I've got a 2 person dome tent and it would fit on the trunk rack, but is too long (poles only fold up so small) for inside the bags or trunk. I can't even recall the brand at the moment but it's about 20" long and 6" dia; weighs only a couple lbs. About the same size as my Thermarest when it's rolled up.

·
Premium Member
7,508 Posts
I've been using the 2 man Northface Tadpole tents for 20 years but several seasons ago got an REI Half Dome 2 and am extremely pleased with it. I do 4-6 wilderness canoe trips each year and use my gear allot. I like the sitting up elevation of the interior of the Half Dome over the Tad Pole which is shaped like a frog or a wedge. The packed size of the Half Dome specs shows 6x21 vs 6x23 for the Tad Pole. http://www.rei.com/product/845478/rei-half-dome-2-tent

·
Administrator
15,318 Posts
I agree with Dan on REI. They are a good company and sell quality. Any "backpacking" style two person tent will easily fit into a saddle bag on the wing, but check the length of the poles as that is the longest parts.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Are you going two up? I'd be putting it on my luggage rack or strapping it to the passenger pillion. I just did some camping at the district and region rallies this year and we went two up. Barely had enough room for clothes, bedding and shelter, even while pulling my trailer. No cookware or food was taken. We've strapped the folding sack chairs to the luggage rack before with no problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the info and REI looks like a good place to start. I'll be going minimal with no trailer, so size and length in this case does matter. Thanks again and any other thoughts appreciated.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I travel with my trailer I use a Eureka timberline 4. It measures 7x9 with 4'6" hight. Quick to set up and take down and it will fit in the trunk or bags. Its an A-frame and its been around for a long time. Very good tent.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Another place to look is Campmore.com, and Sierra Trading Post. I picked up my two person tent at Sierra that was on closeout. Way cheaper for the same tent then REI.

Check out Motocampers.com. This is a site for people that like to motorcycle camp. A lot of good info.

If you are going solo, get a two person tent. Two up, get a 4 person tent. My gear and clothing takes up the space for the second person in my two person tent. When I tent camp on my ST 1300, I put my tent, sleeping bag, folding pillow, stove, cook gear, backpacking lantern, and small stool in a waterproof duffel bag. I then strap it on the back seat so I have room in the bags for my clothing. I have not tried this on the wing yet. There may not be enough room with the wings speaker boxes on the top box.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thats the Bushtec Spartan. Same suspension as the other Bushtec models but an open trailer. I put a large lockable plastic tool box in it which is watertight and pile my other camping gear on top. It pulls like a dream. Bumps or bad roads,wet weather or what ever you have to keep looking to see if its behind you. It pulls that good. I love it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
looking to doing some camping without a trailer and was considering a 2 person tent, but it has to be able to fit into trunk or side bags on the wing. Anyone who has tried this would love to hear from you with your recommendations or links. thanks.
Rufus..do check out www.motocampers.com website..lots of good info there. IF you are interested in a trailer..I do have one for sale. H/F trailer with car topper...just saying... in Douglasville, Ga

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.