Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok..so I just got my 87 1200 Interstate, 99,000 miles Sunday and Ive put about 250 miles on it and Im extremely happy with its performance...Its had a full resto prior to me purchasing it with new belts, plugs, clutch and more...

I live in/around Atlanta Ga and will be taking a trip with girlfriend to Beaufort S.C. Its about a 280 mile ride, about 5 hours.

Would any of you have a concern doing this on a new ride? Ive always been a weekend rider, 75-100 miles here and there so I have never made a decent trip on a bike (bikes were always too small except the rs100 30 years ago). The girlfriend is totally into it..I might keep her :)

Thanks

Russ

One last thing...I notice the shifts are hard on this, meaning not a smoth quiet one but more clunky...is that normal for this bike? New clutch and rebuit cylinder is about 2000 miles old. Thanks again!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Ride

This is the Wing...by far the nicest ride Ive owned

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Get on it and ride. Wings were made for long distance travel. It will be a good "shakedown" for both you and the bike. Enjoy and have a safe trip..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get on it and ride. Wings were made for long distance travel. It will be a good "shakedown" for both you and the bike. Enjoy and have a safe trip..
Will do...

Rom 8:28 is one of my favorites...

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I did 250 on my first ride on my "new to me wing." Go for it. You will come back with confidence on the bike. Be sure to take a good look at the tires before you head out and look for cracking on them after about 100 miles on the road. That is about the only thing that is going to cause you any serious trouble on this kind of trip.

Remember to make some stops along the way for her. It gets kinda boring on the back...as you are grinning and grinding up front.

Have fun!!!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Go ahead and do it Russ. Just be prepared to adjust the trip time to rider and co-rider conditions. My ride time increases significantly when the 'significant other' is aboard. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Go ahead and do it Russ. Just be prepared to adjust the trip time to rider and co-rider conditions. My ride time increases significantly when the 'significant other' is aboard. :rolleyes:
Agreed on the girlfriend...Tires are brand new so I should be good there...I was just looking at the Scala Q2 Pro bluetooth headsets...I think Ill pick them up today for our enjoyment.

All in all shes really excited and double that for me...Funny, GW ride there and a Horse and Carriage ride saturday night, me thinks Ill be a lucky man lol

Thanks

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Stay mentally fresh on a long ride. The bike will do its part, its a wing. The 12s were excellent motors. The stator replacement is a big deal when it come. probably it has all ready been replaced, ask to be sure. It a cheap part but many hours of labor to replace.
Stop now and then and walk around (GF will appreciayte this). Enjoy!

Oh! Clunky shifts are typically honda.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Go for it and have a safe really fun trip. First weekend I got mine (08 1800) we put a lot of km on it from Edmonton to Osoyoos BC about 12 hours in the saddle each way and the bike was a dream

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Stay mentally fresh on a long ride. The bike will do its part, its a wing. The 12s were excellent motors. The stator replacement is a big deal when it come. probably it has all ready been replaced, ask to be sure. It a cheap part but many hours of labor to replace.
Stop now and then and walk around (GF will appreciayte this). Enjoy!

Ill find out about starter...glad to hear they clunk :) and I will most certainly make her happy :) ty

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
roliveri, ride safe and enjoy, the Wing will bring you home just fine.

Isn't that the truth. Of all the Honda traits, I think that is the one that bugs me most.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What a great time! Took about 7 hours to Beaufort SC with stops and about 5 hours back without food stops...Bike ran like a charm and purred the whole way there and back...couldnt be more pleased!!! Only hitch was left side mirror came loose and almost fell off!! Accccck found a great tire place that let me use tools and borrow any nuts or bolts I needed.

Looking forward to Helen Georgia this weekend...Im hooked :)

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Your Goldwing sounds like it's really nice and will handle the job well. I ride with the Southern Cruisers and our average weekend ride in about 250 miles. We stop very often to give the passenger a break and it's good to get off and stretch your legs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your Goldwing sounds like it's really nice and will handle the job well. I ride with the Southern Cruisers and our average weekend ride in about 250 miles. We stop very often to give the passenger a break and it's good to get off and stretch your legs.
What state do you all ride out of??

·
Registered
57 Posts
What state do you all ride out of??
I live in Arkansas and I ride with the Russellville chapter of the American Legion Riders and I also belong to the Russellville/Danville chapter of the Southern Cruisers.

I have a Honda 1800 VTX Trike and last week I bought a 1994 Goldwing GL 1500 Trike with trailer..

Have a safe and fun ride

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
Bike ran like a charm and purred the whole way there and back...couldn't be more pleased!!! Only hitch was left side mirror came loose and almost fell off!! Accccck found a great tire place that let me use tools and borrow any nuts or bolts I needed.

Looking forward to Helen Georgia this weekend...I'm hooked :)

Nice to know there are still some good folks out there!

Soooo, have you gotten the :D off your face yet?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice to know there are still some good folks out there!

Soooo, have you gotten the :D off your face yet?
lol I think that came off on hour 4 when my butt was sore :D

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
Nice to see it all went well. Take me on your next ride throgh your photos. Eric

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have lots of photos...dont think all wants to see em...its just places

1 - 20 of 21 Posts