Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across a 1998 GoldWing 1500 w/ 43,000km on the clock. It is Pearl White, Looking at the pics it looks in pretty good shape. The owner says it's an "25th Anniversary". I don't know much about those models,but, I can add..1975~1998 doesn't come out to 25! Am I missing something here? Also, I don't see any special emblems anywhere on this bike. wouldn't there be SOMETHING to indicate a 25th anniversary model? The price is $8K, that seems low compared to some other earlier years I've seen for sale, it has a vented windshield & a trunk spoiler...anyone know what this should sell for?

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
The 1998 is not the 25th anniversary model. I had a 98 so I know. The 1999 was the anniversary model. If the bike has been well maintained $8k is slightly high. KBB has the value at around $7k for the SE model, but maybe the bike has some additional farkles on it that warrant the added price. I traded my 98 in 2 years ago with 35k on it and about $1,000 in add ons and the book then was around $8.5k

Don't know what km vs miles ratio is, but I would make sure it is an SE model, that everyting on the bike works and then offer what you think is a price you are willing to spend. See what happens and good luck..

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Charlie; Did yours have special emblems or trim? 45K km is about 30K miles..I think? so it's close to what yours had. From the pics it looks pretty much stock..except for the trunk spoiler. also, I noticed a part missing, there is a rectangle shape just under the ignition on the "dash" part that covers the tank, must be some emblem missing?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I had a 98SE and it was a great bike. There was an SE and an Aspencaed, The SE had trunk spoiler, CB radio, two tone paint, 4 speakers, adjustable passenger floor boards. and some other goodies the SE was worth more than the Aspencade. I guess in Canada that price would be in the ball park because bikes run higher there. On the GWRRA forum there is a 98 with 92,000 miles for $7,000 and then a 97 with 58,000 miles for $7200. I would say if it's in great shape and ready to ride, good tires ETC. I would pay about $7500
This was my 98

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Joe, this one has only one color..Pearl white..it does have a spoiler,but, that could have been added. I appreciate the responses..:)
BTW, your 98 was a sweet looking ride!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, I was just looking at a local buy "n" sell on line, there were only a few 1500's..two were 88's and had twice the km, one had 98K the other 93K...one was $7,500 the other $7,200. they both had a few added extras, I'm confused:confused::confused: These are both 10 yrs OLDER than the 98 I'm looking at:confused: Can the pricing South of the border be THAT much different????:confused:
You can see why I thought the 98 was a good price,but, something doesn't add up here.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I think the 2 88's are way over priced. Do an eBay search for Honda Goldwing model years 1998-99 and you will see about a half dozen bikes. Prices range from $11k to around $8k.

Also, another way you can check the model is the SE came with reverse, the Aspencade did not. Hope all this info is not clouding the issue for you.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, not at all. I appreciate all the responses. I'm just a bit confused by the huge differences in the prices. :D

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually I did do a search on ebay a few hrs ago, the only thing that came back was over 6K parts listings!:eek: I'm not sure how to search for just motorcycles? I didn't see a listing other than automobiles:confused:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just had another look at the pics of this bike. I noticed that the start button also says reverse on it, does that mean it has that feature..or are all the start buttons made this way?

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Two wheel, very interesting; The 3rd one from the bottom is the one that's listed up here that I was interested in! In the listing up here he's asking 8K!! It says nothing in the listing here that this is a salvage bike!! It's got 20 bids on ebay..it's @ $5100. I don't think I would want a salvage bike..you saved me a BIG headache...thanks for your help..:D

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Your welcome, glad I could help.. I'm sure you will find the right Wing for you to enjoy. Keep looking its out there. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
My BLuebook shows $8600 for the SE and $7600 for the Aspy (Cdn prices) average condition. All the starter buttons have "rev" on them since the starter motor drives the reverse. The reverse control is a lever on the left side of the 'dummy' tank. If it's a salvage bike, it's worth nowhere near that. Do an "ask buyer a question" and see what he says about the bike.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys, I can do better than that..there is a ph# listed in the add here..I think I'll just call and play dumb! See what he says?:D
BTW, I sent him an email 2 days ago, I asked if this was a 98 how could it be a 25th aniv? He didn't reply...mmm..something is afoot!

·
Registered
69 Posts
The 2000 is actually the anniversary model, and last year of the 1500's. It has some special emblems that states "25" on them... I just bought one with 22.000 miles on it and paid US$6.800,- for it. Needless to say an 11 year old bike needed some few odds and ends to make it to my specs but all well worth it. Good luck in your search, and stay far away from anything salvage.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, I was wondering how 1975~1998 or 99 could add up to 25:confused::confused: I think your advice about salvage is well thought out:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts