Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

hope you're all doing well.

I'm thinking of taking the step into Goldwing ownership after many years of sportsbike riding (basically getting on a bit) and have from a distance always admired the Goldwings.

I have an opportunity to purchase the above and I'm looking for some words of wisdom about what to look out for, things to check, etc.

Any advice, help would be most appreciated.

All the best.
Tom

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
Tom, first I'd ask the owner if he has any maintenance records, if so great check them out, if not then give the bike a good look over. Ask the owner if he has replaced the timing belts, this is one thing that any owner of a GL1500 should have done by now, just due to the age of the belts.
How many miles on the bike, it's not a huge concern due to these bikes lasting for over 100K miles if the basic maintenance has been preformed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom, first I'd ask the owner if he has any maintenance records, if so great check them out, if not then give the bike a good look over. Ask the owner if he has replaced the timing belts, this is one thing that any owner of a GL1500 should have done by now, just due to the age of the belts.
How many miles on the bike, it's not a huge concern due to these bikes lasting for over 100K miles if the basic maintenance has been preformed.
Thanks Terry, bike has 63K miles and is in (he says) excellent condition. Will check records (if any) and ask about timing belts. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
the timing belts by age of the bike should have been changed twice, the recommended is 100k miles or 10 years which ever happens first

give the shocks a look for leaks
check to see that the rear air suspension still works to change the ride level, it is a two button procedure for it to work
look over the tires, ask how old they are, don't just go be tread depth, but you know that one
check the brake pads, if like my 98 the rear wanted changed at about that mileage and the front were half done with their second set
buttons like to stick, so see that they all still work, especially the mute, cruise, and emergency flasher buttons
See if the reverse works as it should, in neutral, running, pull up the reverse lever, the reverse light on the dash should light up, then the starter button operates it, then see if it all resets after pushing the lever back down,

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the timing belts by age of the bike should have been changed twice, the recommended is 100k miles or 10 years which ever happens first

give the shocks a look for leaks
check to see that the rear air suspension still works to change the ride level, it is a two button procedure for it to work
look over the tires, ask how old they are, don't just go be tread depth, but you know that one
check the brake pads, if like my 98 the rear wanted changed at about that mileage and the front were half done with their second set
buttons like to stick, so see that they all still work, especially the mute, cruise, and emergency flasher buttons
See if the reverse works as it should, in neutral, running, pull up the reverse lever, the reverse light on the dash should light up, then the starter button operates it, then see if it all resets after pushing the lever back down,
Many thanks mate.

·
Registered
7,419 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I see that you are already getting great advice.

·
Registered
1996 Honda GoldWing Interstate, Candy Spectra Red, and of course, with drive shaft.
37 Posts
One of the things I’m finding as I get more familiar with my 1996 Interstate is the number of broken pegs that fit into grommets, which hold the side panels that shield the engine and such. You can see in the photo (there’s my showcase, for example) and there’s very little actual machine showing, it’s all wrapped in plastic. This really isn’t a deal breaker for me, it’s not all that obvious that something’s missing, and the plastic panels, if they’re available at all, are expensive. But I would say that whoever worked my bike didn’t know what they were doing...fortunately so far the bike hasn’t shown any mechanical issues....although I did lose a speedometer cable last weekend, which proved to be rusted, and broke about 2/3rds of the way up the cable...hopefully that’s all that’s wrong, as the speedometer head is damned expensive, and I doubt the bike will pass PA inspection without it.

·
Premium Member
2007 GL1800(P) 2006 Victory Vegas
56 Posts
Thanks mate, yes some good tips.
1) I second the timing belt thing
2) Maintenance records are important. Doesn't matter if done by owner or dealer
3) Plastic items are getting older and brittle. Check cover and other tabs to be sure they are intact
4) Try in earnest to test ride. Look for any hesitation on acceleration, set the cruise, is shifting crisp or clunky
5) Operate EVERYTHING electrical (that tape player/radio can be expensive), check ALL switches (they can stick)
6) Check the oil yourself, look for fluid level and color (question it if it's black).
7) Check the tires (pressure, tread, and age). Good looking tires can be hard from age and ride/handle terribly.
8) Ask lots of questions, if you get vague answers be careful! Most proud owners with nothing to hide LOVE to talk about their bikes! And some people just don't speak the language.

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Many thanks - spent about 2 hrs with it and managed a 10 mile test run - loved it and yes she’s now mine.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum ..check the dates on the tires see how old they really are if close to four years then change them no matter how good they look time will mess up tires and with a bike take no chances with any thing it will cost you every time ,, and the same with timing belts if you do not know for sure change them and change the oil flush the brake fluid ,,all this gives you a starting place to maintain your machine and keep you and it safe ,, I have a piece of tape under my trunk lid that has date and mileage when i change any thing .. good luck and enjoy your ride ,,,find out about those belts and tires ,,

·
Registered
1996 Honda GoldWing Interstate, Candy Spectra Red, and of course, with drive shaft.
37 Posts
Many thanks - spent about 2 hrs with it and managed a 10 mile test run - loved it and yes she’s now mine.
Having done so in April (as previously noted) and as happy as my purchase has made me (in spite of that broken speedometer cable) I'm thrilled for you! Many miles of bliss for you for many years!

Pictures?

·
Super Moderator
12,132 Posts
Congratulations on the Wing!

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
That is a beautiful machine and a beautiful young lady to enjoy it with you..I have a 93 the most aggravating thing i have going on is the plastics are getting old and brittle some of my small trim pieces have broken and the wind just blew them off ,,something to watch for ,,,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys for all your comments.

Rode her back home about 50 miles or so from purchase - first time on a wing as i've always had sports bikes for the past 20+ years. This thing really wants to tip into the corners - scared me at first. Is this normal? I noticed the tyres seemed to be overinflated - 38 front 40 rear. Book says 33 / 36. Effortless cruising down the motorway at 75mph - so smooth.
I think i just need to spend a few hours in a big car park with cones to get used to the way she turns.

·
Registered
71 Posts
YES THAT IS THE THING TO DO..and different brands of tires change the way if feels in turns by the kind of curvature the tire has mine feels very different from say Shinko tires to Dunlop ... regarding the tire pressure that is good tire pressure run 38 to 40 both front and rear ..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
She’s on Dunlop Elite 3, plenty of tread - almost new. Probably just me not used these beasts - i’ll find a big car park and try some manoeuvres.

·
Registered
71 Posts
check the date of the tires before any long rides especially in the heat you can look up how to do that if you do not already know ... do not take chances with your tires are your oil ,,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.