Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I had this problem happen last year about 3 times and twice now this year. It happens when the weather is hot like now and I been riding hard then like last week going to kentucky from ohio I got in a traffic jams on I71, stop and go for about an hour temp on bike past halfway point, gas tank half full, outside temp is about 90. What happens when I finally start to get moving again I just get up to about 70 mph about 3 miles down the road then I start loosing power. I pull over to the side of the road the bike stalls, I open gas cap and choke the bike finally it sputters then starts to run ok Then I start going and again stalls, 3x get going I get off at the next exit fill up with full tank of gas and no more problems, I continued on to mammoth cave with no other problems, put on 1100 miles with out a problem, This happens always the same way, I changed fuel filter, air filler, plugs, I don't think its the fuel pump maybe vapor lock any ideas on how to correct this? Thanks Scott

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Scott have you noticed poor fuel mileage as well? If so it's possible the vacuum petcock assembly could be the culprit. I had one crap out on my 95 while going across country last year. When you open the fuel door there is a silver device with vacuum hoses hooked to it. That is the one I'm talking about. They do make rebuild kits for them but another guy just recently posted that he couldn't find one.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
I've heard of guys by passing the vaccum valve and the bike running fine, the thing is, it is like a safety valve, if the engine shuts down, it looses vaccum and stops the fuel flow to the carbs, if you by pass it fuel would contiue to flow to the carbs till the key is turned off shutting off the fuel pump. This may or may not be a problem for some.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks fossil92 and Ron for the quick reply, I get about 25mpg I thought that was normal because of carberated 6 cyclender. I checked the vacuum at the fuel petcock when I replaced the air filter and it seemed good. I found a new oem petcock at bikebandit for $147 I'm going to order that soon and start there because I always have that stalling in the back of my mind and worry that it's going to happen when I can't get off the road with a 18 wheeler on my tail, not a good thought. Thanks again for the info.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Scott if the bike is running right & you keep the RPM's below the magic 3K which should equate to around 68 MPH or so you should get almost if not a tad over 40 MPG. Once you get above 3K the fuel mileage will drop significantly even if the bike is running correctly. Good Luck & Ride Safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts