Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a very well taken care of super clean 98 GL1500, but I know nothing at all about these bikes. If you all here would be so kind as to educate me on what are the particulars maintenance wise I would be grateful. I have read that Goldwings need the timing belts changed. Does this also apply to this year and model? Anything I should look for when inspecting it? Where are the trouble areas if any I need to be aware of?
Thanks for indulging me.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
the '98 does have timing belts (should be replaced every 10yr or 100k miles, if I remember my owners manual correctly)

I had a '98 SE, they are pretty trouble free
all I ever had to replace was the alternator and had to wire around the kill switch after it failed, other wise it was only the typical maintenance items

typical things to look at before the purchase:
brake pads
tires (wear and age)
front shock seals

after purchase: (just so you know when it was done last, unless they have records)
change all the fluids (oil, rear diff, brake both ends, clutch)
air filter
fuel filter
spark plugs

then just ride and ride and ride and ride

there are lots on here that still ride 1500s, the only reason I don't, wife gave me permission to buy a new bike

·
Super Moderator
27,608 Posts
Yes, as @dsurley says timing belts, and if the owner isn't sure when they were changed you should change them. It is an easy task for a mechanical person (daunting at first when you think of it, but simple). Typical things like tires/filters/fluids.

Other than that you are hard pressed to beat the reliability of a 1500. Mine has been triked and it's a 95 with just under 100K on it.

By the way Welcome to the GWOF from the Grand Canyon State

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. I had an 89 1500 and really enjoyed it. Switched to an 1800 because of ABS brakes. The others have given good advice. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Administrator
26,012 Posts
There's also a secondary (cruise) filter on the 1500 that should be done as well. The only other thing I can think of with those venerable machines is occasionally have the reverse control linkage could require an adjustment. Welcome to the site.

·
Super Moderator
13,836 Posts
All I can add is a welcome to you from Mississippi.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
There's also a secondary (cruise) filter on the 1500 that should be done as well. The only other thing I can think of with those venerable machines is occasionally have the reverse control linkage could require an adjustment. Welcome to the site.
There is also a sub air filter, this one should be changed also, and probably 90% of wing owners do not change it.
https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11036

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dsurley covered it well. I will only add my 1500 was a more comfortable sitting ride than my 2013 1800. The 1800 seems to have me leaning forward rather than sitting back as in my lounge chair on the 1500. I blame it on handlebars. Also, my 1500 had highway foot boards that were able to be set further out than the highway pegs on my 1800.

Regarding maintenance, I found as my 1500 aged, small plastic parts were more prone to failure. I blame that on the high temperatures of Houston living. Good luck with your Wing, you will love it.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My 89 1500 has 150k plus miles on it and runs as strong as ever. Last year all of the fluids were changed along with the timing belt (probably 2nd or 3rd time). The PO pulled a trailer with it and I'm thinking the final drive will need replaced at some point in time as there is getting to be more play in it. I did buy an 88 parts bike, same color as my 89 but half the miles for both body and engine parts as needed.

The bike runs good and rides good and the best part about is the wife likes to ride as she is more comfortable on the Wing than she was on her ex's full dress Harley. Win win for me!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts