Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 187k on the clock
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So big cran shakes around 90-115 (top speed thus far 188k I didn’t expect more) in 5th gear not 4th tho. I came over from 09 (180 rear) Harley touring platform cuz they all wobble no matter what kind of money ya spend. tires are new with dyna beads for balancing, I am new to the driveline of these bikes but I can imagine there is a little wear in the components with the miles. would like to Beale to run 100 with out the handlebars feeling like a brookstone massage chair.

O and if anyone from here saw me in Laconia say hi I’m sorry if I blew past ya in the grass with the hazards on I had clutch issues ( not really but that’s what I was gonna say)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
my 98 SE was glass smooth, other than wind issues moving you a bit, up to 125 mph

I would look the tires over carefully
make sure they ARE smooth
Make sure the seated fully to both sides of the rim all the way around, have had hard times getting them to seat before on my 1500
make sure there is no play in any of the wheel bearings or steering

I road my 1500 10miles at 70mph on cruise with no hands, just to see if it would, so..... yeah they should be smooth and super stable

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
nice looking bike
btw

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
Nice looking 1500 and welcome to the forum. Put the bike on the center stand and raise the front wheel off the ground, check the wheel for any play in the steering head. See if the wheel will move forward and backward and from side to side, this will tell you if the head bearings need replacing or they could just need tightened a bit. This is a very good how to post on the steering head bearings: How to repack and tighten your steering head bearings • GL1500 DIY Articles • goldwingdocs.com

Reactions: Limpy45 and Eric

·
Registered
1998 GL1500 187k on the clock
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice looking 1500 and welcome to the forum. Put the bike on the center stand and raise the front wheel off the ground, check the wheel for any play in the steering head. See if the wheel will move forward and backward and from side to side, this will tell you if the head bearings need replacing or they could just need tightened a bit. This is a very good how to post on the steering head bearings: How to repack and tighten your steering head bearings • GL1500 DIY Articles • goldwingdocs.com
Thank You 🙏 one thing I like about the goldwing community and riders its like take the safety vest and open face microphone helmet aside it’s a out of the box performance bagger that really is versatile.

·
Registered
582 Posts
1500’s rule!!! Check rims for running true, then confirm that the tires run true. Still have those dunlops on it as seen in the photo? How old are they? If all checks good there, check the balance on them. After confirming that tire’s are NOT the issue, move to wheel bearings and steering bearings. At that speed, brake pads touching warped rotors could cause shimmy or shudder. That being said, I’ve got my sons 95 1500 running good enough to be silk smooth at 100. You’ll get there, just have to find out what it is. Oh! How many miles on it? Drive shaft could need lubrication, as well as the splines in the rear wheel. Moly 60 paste from Honda, nothing else will do.

·
Super Moderator
15,340 Posts
check the fork seals, i had one that was leaking that caused a shake once it was up to 100mph, went away once the seals were replaced

1 - 10 of 10 Posts