Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K. here's what I have; 1998 SE with wiring issues, manual, test light, and multi meter....
What I don't have is dash lights, fuel gauge, temp gauge. I have went through the manual did most of the tests for switches. and cant find anything wrong. Is there something common that I can check! Thanks in advance for any info... Lon

·
Registered
263 Posts
First,welcome Lon,there are many here that can be of help,myself included. I just spent a few minutes looking over the wiring diagrams,and from what i can see you probably have a broken wire or 2. Your gauge issue points at relay3,however the bike won't run if relay 3 is out,so that's why i say you have a wire issue. I'm not sure yet of a tie in with the dash lites. After dinner i will research more and post to you again later this evening.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info. I have been beating my head against the wall on this for a few hours. I swapped relay #3 out and it didn't change anything. I also checked the key switch, start/reverse switch and everything is fine. I have been tracing wires and have the bike stripped to get to everything. Any digging you can do would be great. I work on these on a regular basis and this is the first one to real baffle me. Thanks.

·
Registered
263 Posts
OK,dug a little more,have to ask questions now,does kickstand indicator,oil lite,OD lite work? If so,this confirms a broken wire or splice in harness,as feed frrom relay 3 powers all this stuff,including the dash lites.Unfortunatly this circuit changes colors a couple of times,so pay close attention to your diagrams.The feed at the dash lites is brown/white.Use a jumper to that & if still no lites,then is ground wire.If any logic to diagrams,then ground terminates near ign.switch somewhere.
The ground for the gauges terminates near battery,again if loc.in diagram means anything.The gauge feed wire is black/brown,jumper + to that & see if they work,if not,then ground issue again.Remember in some situations,possibly such as this,an ohmeter can be your worst enemy. i.e.,one strand of wire say in a 16ga.wire will give a good reading with an ohmeter,but will be unable to run the circuit load. Will check for your reply in a.m. Good Hunting!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts