Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently purchased a 1998 GL 1500 with 35000 miles. At the time of purchase, it idled a bit rough but ran beautiful at any speed above idle. We assumed, as did the seller that this would probably clear up after a tank or two of gas, due to sitting thru the winter. MISTAKE on our part. 4 tanks later it still was idling a tad rough and when putting thru town you could nitice a slight miss in the exhaust. We took it into the shop and the pilot passage was plugged in one carburetor. Both we removed, disassembled and ultrasonically cleaned etc... $312.00. Runs beautiful!!!!:)One tank of gas later, here we go again only worse. Back to the shop. Carburetors removed and water found in the bowls along with some dirt?!?!?!?! Was told that we had gotten a bad tank of gas????? Tank was completely emptied and dried out. or so they claim. I requested a NEW fuel filter be installed, but they didnt have one so they just blew the old one out?!?!? $275.00..... Runs beautiful again. About 1000 miles later,,, you guessed it, back to the shop AGAIN. idling rough, slight hesitation on acceleration etc.... NOW mommas ticked. :mad:. So today they are supposed to start on the bike. I was told over the phone that he would NOT charge us for cleaning the carbs again, but that he was going to have did further into the system and look at the gas tank and possibly coat it with an epoxy etc... Are we wrong in being discouraged at the scenario? How much responsibility should the facility take for this?

They have also tried to put some of the blame on the "ethanol blended fuels" which we try to avoid if at all possible...
Looking forward to your input and opinions
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
ethanol fuels seem attract water, i avoid the stuff. change the fuel filter do not blow it out

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree. Avoid the ethanol pumps like a plague. Attracts water, less milage, less power and does nothing good for you.
Also, I would run some Sea Foam fuel conditioner through the next few tanks. Give it a heavy shot in the first tank, then about a third of a can in the next several tanks.
I use it regularly in about every third tank. Sometimes it will replace an expensive mechanic that evidently isn't doing everything right.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Has anyone also checked for a vacuum leak?
There's a vacuum operated petcock and one gentleman's trike it failed to work correctly and was giving his trike operating problems. I rebuilt the part and the problems went away. Only a suggestion, as it may be the culperet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jeff When we buy used used bikes it's a chance we take, not knowing how well the last owner took care of it.Sounds like you got some bad gas. I think you mechanic should of took a little closer look a your fuel system after your second repair. Good luck

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I had a 98 GL1500 SE with about 38k on it when I sold it. I ran 87 octane and most of it was with ethanol and never had a problem with the fuel system. So I'm not sure you can blame all of the problem on fuel. Sounds like something else is going on that may be a bigger part of the problem.

If the lines and filter have been cleaned and the problem continues to come back the only source is the tank or where you buy your gas. I always tried to buy from places like BP, Sunoco or places that did high volume sales. Good luck and ride safe..

·
Registered
691 Posts
The Green Wing runs great on 87 octane fuel. I dump about 1 oz of Staybil in every other tank full. Just buy a good brand of gas. Avoid the Jug & Loaf and other off brand fuel. Aditionally, check your fuel lines. They can crack and come apart in time. You may be getting smal bits of rubber in the gas. On a 12 year old anything I would replace the fuel lines any way. You may want to drain some gas from the fuel line before the filter, strain the gas then look at any "dirt" you find under a strong magnifier and see if you can ID it.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
I stay away from gas stations that are not major companies, I do have good luck with Shell and Sunoco gas. I am going to share this website with you and it can help www.pure-gas.org this is real gas minus the ethanol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We recently purchased a 1998 GL 1500 with 35000 miles. At the time of purchase, it idled a bit rough but ran beautiful at any speed above idle. We assumed, as did the seller that this would probably clear up after a tank or two of gas, due to sitting thru the winter. MISTAKE on our part. 4 tanks later it still was idling a tad rough and when putting thru town you could nitice a slight miss in the exhaust. We took it into the shop and the pilot passage was plugged in one carburetor. Both we removed, disassembled and ultrasonically cleaned etc... $312.00. Runs beautiful!!!!:)One tank of gas later, here we go again only worse. Back to the shop. Carburetors removed and water found in the bowls along with some dirt?!?!?!?! Was told that we had gotten a bad tank of gas????? Tank was completely emptied and dried out. or so they claim. I requested a NEW fuel filter be installed, but they didnt have one so they just blew the old one out?!?!? $275.00..... Runs beautiful again. About 1000 miles later,,, you guessed it, back to the shop AGAIN. idling rough, slight hesitation on acceleration etc.... NOW mommas ticked. :mad:. So today they are supposed to start on the bike. I was told over the phone that he would NOT charge us for cleaning the carbs again, but that he was going to have did further into the system and look at the gas tank and possibly coat it with an epoxy etc... Are we wrong in being discouraged at the scenario? How much responsibility should the facility take for this?

They have also tried to put some of the blame on the "ethanol blended fuels" which we try to avoid if at all possible...
Looking forward to your input and opinions
Thanks,
Jeff
Here's the update,,, Almost 2 weeks later the bike is done. Mechanic say he did some research and found somewhere that there have been problems with the pilot jets themselves breaking down and clogging themselves?!?!?!?!? Sound funky to me/us. How about you? Anyways he has cleaned and dried the whole tank again, sonic cleaned the carbs again and this time installed a NEW fuel filter. Total charges amount up to 120.00 Hopefully this is the last of it. Get out and enjoy the day
Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts