Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 GL1500 that runs great and has 71,000 miles on it. On two occasions, while fully loaded and riding two up, I have approached a long steep hill in 5th gear and the engine starts to die. I down shift and couple of gears and the engine restarts showing no sign of a problem. The gas cap has quite a bit of suction built up under it when I fuel up. Could my problem be in the EVAP system somewhere? I have owned the bike for about a year and have never drained any tanks or lines from the EVAP system.

Thanks for the help!

·
Super Moderator
28,441 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF. I had this same situation on my 95 1500. Changed the fuel filter then about 2 months later it did it again when little lady & I went to the Indycar race in MidOhio. I found a guy selling a retrofit kit fuel pump on Ebay, bought that & when I went to change the fuel pump there was all sorts of rust/debris in the bottom of the tank. I flushed all that out, installed new pump & no issues with that again.

Having said the above 1 1/2 years later, the same little lady & I went across the country & back. When we were going into North Rim of Grand Canyon the bike developed what I would call a miss & fuel mileage plummeted. We nursed it to Las Vegas where a shop changed the Vacuum pilot assy. We were good to go.

Sorry I got long winded here but the reason I bring up the latter is to describe how the bike was running.

Good Luck & again Welcome.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
First thing I would do is put a new fuel filter on it. Then if that doesn't work open the gas flap you will see a silver color thing with a couple of hoses going to it it is an auto fuel valve, That needs to be rebuilt.

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
I wonder if I am experiencing the same thing. At idle, most recently my bike will just die. It will start right back up again, but it just dies like no spark. It has done this 3 times in the past 100 miles or so. This is when the bike is fully warmed up and I pull in the clutch to come to a stop for a light.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts