Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So....hello guys. I sincerely hope you can all help me.

I took on the project of doing some major maintenance to my Dad's 97 Aspencade GL1500.

I put on new tires, new brakes, new clutch master, upgraded the front forks, rebuilt/cleaned the carbs, changed the oil, flushed the radiator and asst. other simple maintenance jobs.

Regardless.....after reassembling it all I found that the bike will not start. No spark, no fuel pump turn on.

I have about 15 hours worth of time into diagnosing it all using the factory manual. I've checked every single sensor for proper function and all connections. NOTHING! I only had one slight fault that showed the 5th gear sensor as sorta stuck on? (the OD light ONLY comes on when it is in 5th, so I'm assuming that it is in fact working)

I even to the point where I decided the ECM somehow went bad with it just apart on my lift. I bought a newsed one locally and swapped it out.....NOTHING! Same result!

Anyone got a clue here what you would check to come up with an answer?

Don't say the emergency Kill switch as this was the FIRST thing I checked.

PLEASE HELP!?!?

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Did you check the main fuse? The dog bone shaped one under the cover by the battery.
Did you activate the reverse lever at any point in time? The switch may be stuck.
When you say nothing is working does that means lights also?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Does it crank? Have you tried the esay things like Kill switch and reverse lever?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of your suggestions were solid...unfortunately or fortunately it was something VERY simple. After at least 10 hours, we figured out that it was simply the plug not being securely fastened to the ECM. SO FRUSTRATING!

I think we finally have it ready to go! Thanks everyone for your suggestions.....we checked them all and continued to be confused until the simplest thing was finally addressed.

Good luck to you all and safe riding! :)

A

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Glad you're sorted out and running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts