Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View attachment 282934

Item #2 quantity 4, get hard as rocks and can be noisy. They are available and should be replaced with the alt service. It could be some other noise, but knowing the recent service, I’d suspect that first.
Hello all,
Had an alternator installed by self described mechanic and have a new knocking sound at idle. New Mechanic informs me a bushing is missing on the engine side. Would like to keep the '97 running.

Massachusetts
Thanks for the response and good info. Honda Dealer says parts not available. Where would you say to go to find parts? Does the 1800 have the same alternator design?

Sy Brule

· Registered
2007 Crucible Orange GL1800 converted to CSC Viper
44 Posts
A little tip on installing these. If you look closely at the diagram, you will notice that on each set, there are straps holding them together. Another thing to notice is that the straps are facing forward into the engine. On the coupler that is on engine, there are 4 vanes. These dampers are supposed to be installed between the vanes.

Organism Font Art Circle Illustration

The first time I pulled the alternator on my 1500 years ago, I didn't pay attention to this when I also removed the dampers. When I put them back in, I had the straps facing back and installed them over the vanes. They actually fit this way too so I figured it was ok. It actually made it more difficult to get alternator in as they moved around a bit. The next time I had alternator off, I had discovered this was wrong but was installing a new set of dampers anyway. The new ones got installed with strap forward, between the vanes, and it seemed easier sliding alternator back in.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, the 1800 is different design. What exactly are you needing? Your original post wasnt quite clear.
Thanks for responding.

'97 Gold Wing GL1500 has a knock on left side at idle. It started after an alternator replacement. A slight increase in rpm and knock is silent. One response was rubber dampers that engage with alternator need replacing. Still looking for input.

· Registered
2007 Crucible Orange GL1800 converted to CSC Viper
44 Posts
Hopefully when you installed the alternator, you went with an OEM one as there have been plenty of issues with lots of the aftermarket alternators. Definitely replace the rubber dampers if they weren't done when alternator was replaced. There is a great chance that those are the source of your noise and replacing them could cure the problem. Not sure why the Honda dealer told you those weren't available. They are listed as available at most of the online parts places. Also that ebay info above is a listing by Cyclemax which is a well known place and good to go. The ebay link for those is

Or you could buy direct from them especially if there are other things you are considering for your bike.

I prefer buying from them direct and have purchased many things from them in the past.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hopefully when you installed the alternator, you went with an OEM one as there have been plenty of issues with lots of the aftermarket alternators. Definitely replace the rubber dampers if they weren't done when alternator was replaced. There is a great chance that those are the source of your noise and replacing them could cure the problem. Not sure why the Honda dealer told you those weren't available. They are listed as available at most of the online parts places. Also that ebay info above is a listing by Cyclemax which is a well known place and good to go. The ebay link for those is

Or you could buy direct from them especially if there are other things you are considering for your bike.

I prefer buying from them direct and have purchased many things from them in the past.
Great information Mikey- I'll follow-up on that.
Great group of Gold Wing Owners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts