Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and the Goldwing world. My grandpa recently passed away and had quite the collection of Honda motorcycles, with the oldest one being the '96 SE with 26,000 miles o the clock. Here's my situation, when he bought a new motorcycle, he then let the old one sit and collect dust. I got the newest goldwing '05 started and running, since that one didn't sit much, but the '96 SE, has been sitting for last 5 years with gas in it. The gas was turned off, but the tank has some gas in there and smells pretty stale. Is there anyway to clean the tank out or drain it, to avoid removing the tank? It looks like it is quite the task to remove the tank on one of these bikes. I don't want to chance running crap gas through the carbs and clogging the jets. Any advice? Thanks, Chris

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Get a squeeze bulb siphon to remove the stale gas from the tank.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was thinking of siphoning the old gas out too. The only thing I'm worried about is sediment in the tank like rust possibly.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello chris, welcome to GWOF and good luck getting the '96 running again

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
How bad is the sediment in the gas tank?
You can change the fuel filter afterwards. The fuel filter is under the gas door and to the right.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I would do as posts have said,once you get the old gas out look at inside of tank for rust. If you find any you have a couple of ways you can clean out. Electrolysis,or vinegar also have heard of people cleaning out with pressure washer while still on bike. If you get it clean put new filter and sea foam in new gas,and clean out fuel lines. Run a couple of tanks of sea foam and gas thru it may even clean out your carbs too. Good Luck Hal

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You said he had the gas turned off, how did he do that, there is no turn off on the 1500 Gold Wing.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I'm sorry your grandfather passed away, but it seems he left you a gem of a bike. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, this Goldwing is way too nice to part out,haha. I was left a 96 Goldwing SE, a 99 Valkyrie Interstate, 02 VTX1800R, 04 Valkyrie Rune, and lastly an 05 Goldwing. All great bikes, just the ones with the carbs are the ones I worry about with getting bad gas, and clogging jets. Thanks for all the help/info guys.

·
Registered
93 Posts
96...I have a 2000GW 1500 and it runs great and love it. i wouldn't part it out either. Welcome to the site. Good people on here. enjoy the site and the ride "s"

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Nice windfall your Gramps left you, and welcome to the site. I'd syphon the gas out of all the bikes that sat more than 6 months.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, this weekend I plan on siphoning the gas out of the 96 SE. I cleaned the Valkyrie tank out, and put a battery in it and it started right up. Runs great, just hopefully the '96 Goldwing will be the same.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Welcome to the site from Ontario Canada! Sounds like a NICE fleet!..How about some pics so we all can enjoy your luck?:D

·
Super Moderator
11,816 Posts
Did you ever get the 96 running?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts