Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased 1995 GW Inerstate with 43,500 miles spring 2009. now 51,100 miles will only pull 28-33mpg solo, average 30mpg even with trailer and passenger. I've talked to a few GW owners with similar bukes that get 40-44 mpg. Some say replace vacuum hoses, others say carbs or choke hung up. I think I hit 39 once, but mechanic said one carb vacuum was leaking. Love the bike, but would like to be like everyone else with simalar gas mileage. I previously owned 1981, 1983 1100cc and 1984 1200cc which averaged 38-45mpg. Will someone let me know if my bike is average or what they recomend as a fix. Also uses 1/3 quart between oil changes, is that average?
Regards

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
I have 95 SE & I was in the 40-44 mpg before I put on the Xtall windshield (increased aprox 2 mpg). My bike uses no oil between change, just turned 40k. Sounds to me as if vacuum leak may be the cause or carbs. I believe if you had a choke hang up you would know it.

Maybe what you may want to do is throw a new set of plugs in run it for a couple miles & pull them to see what the burn is like. You don't mention if you changed Air Filter so I assume you did. Remember inefficient burn will yield wasted fuel.

And by the way Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Lots of thing can cause poor gas mileage, check plugs and air filter first, make sure you choke is fully off, run some sea foam with you gas and that will help clean out the carbs and cylinder deposits,

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
at what rpm are you shifting gears at? i can get 44 mpg on the 1500 without trying hard and 48 on the 1200

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
at what rpm are you shifting gears at? i can get 44 mpg on the 1500 without trying hard and 48 on the 1200
I've tried all rpm and speeds, same results. Maybe it's the k&n filter they said would increase my mieage. When should I rebuild the carbs and replace vacuum hoses? Is there polution control items that could be restricting ait flow?

·
Registered
691 Posts
She just isn't happy for some reason. There are ttoo many reasons you arn't getting the mileage. I have gotten from 34-47 mpg depending on many factors from the Green Wing (95 1500A). Could be leaky float valves, vacume leak, timeing, dragging brakes, hard accelereation, soft tires, too much oil, high viscosity oil, fuel line/filter/vacume shut off valve leaking or dozens of other problems or combination of faults. There comes a time when you are money and time ahaid taking it to a shop that knows Wings and has a good scope.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1995 1500i saint paul, mn

I have a MC guy in south saint paul, mn who does nice work on all types and brands. Any suggestions of a better choice of wing mechanic in my area?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a MC guy in south saint paul, mn who does nice work on all types and brands. Any suggestions of a better choice of wing mechanic in my area? thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi moll, there is a sub air filter located under the fuel filter area with a replaceable element. the part number is 17253-KT8-000. when a customer describes your symptoms 9 out 0f 10 times this filter is clogged. its cheap about $4.00. good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Member 2580, I too experience horrendous gas mileage with my '89 1500. Thanks for the tip I will get that checked immediately and get back to you with the results.

Sierra Jim

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just checked my mileage on my 96 1500 se and it came up as 36 mpg . thats while 2 up and i have a typhoon windshield. I have seen it at 39 or 40 but i think thats all itll do with carbureators.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts