Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 1995 Honda Goldwing 1500 SE with cb radio mounted on it. The push to talk switch would not transmit but the radio would receive fine. I used electrical contact cleaner and really cleaned it good from the outside of the case, and it started working fine.

Lasted a couple days then quit working again, sprayed it up with contact cleaner and worked good again, when it's hot out it quits again.

Rode in 105F heat yesterday for 400 miles and it quit again. I feel it is a bad solder problem and not dirty. When it's cool out it works, when it's hot it quits. Am I on the right track?

Any help or schematic on how to take it apart would sure be appreciated, as I use the radio to talk to my riding buddy.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Here is the only schematic I could find......shows how they are put together but not the internal parts. Once you take it off the handle bar you should be able to see the wire connections inside. If you do disassemble the internal parts watch for small springs/clips and or balls. I would take it apart inside a large plastic bag so as not to loose any parts.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/cyclemax/Honda_OEM/HondaMC.asp?Type=13&A=653&B=55

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
Sounds like the grease inside the switch is melting in the extreme heat. There might not be anything you can do, but to keep cleaning it.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Does the bike have a passenger push to talk button? If so, try it when the front ones fails.That switch is a discontinued item from Honda. If you can't fix it or get it fixed, you could run a passenger PTT button and mount it up front somewhere. You might try sierra electronics, they work on the CB unit's and might be able to fix the control unit.

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not sure what is inside of the switch area. I still think it could be a solder joint being bad heat expands it and cool contracts it. I also read on a forum somewhere it could be the transmit chip. I want to get it fixed or I can fix it if I knew what was wrong

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
More info on the switch

Just got off the phone with Searri electronics in OH and the seem to think the problem is the transmit capacitor.

Any ideas how to pull the cb out of the bike in a easy way?
1500 se 95 model

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Sierra does real fine work. Hopefully one of our 1500 owners has some hints to get the radio unit out easier.

·
Super Moderator
12,272 Posts
If you pull the left fairing pocket out, the CB is fairly easy to remove.

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replys. Rode 60 Miles today and CB never missed a lick, go figure?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a 1995 Honda Goldwing 1500 SE with cb radio mounted on it. The push to talk switch would not transmit but the radio would receive fine. I used electrical contact cleaner and really cleaned it good from the outside of the case, and it started working fine.

Lasted a couple days then quit working again, sprayed it up with contact cleaner and worked good again, when it's hot out it quits again.

Rode in 105F heat yesterday for 400 miles and it quit again. I feel it is a bad solder problem and not dirty. When it's cool out it works, when it's hot it quits. Am I on the right track?

Any help or schematic on how to take it apart would sure be appreciated, as I use the radio to talk to my riding buddy.

Thanks
I just has the same problem and check my push to talk switch. Disconnected it and took it apart carefully. The lubricant had built up and hardened on the contacts and would not let the wiper make contact. Cleaned wiper and then the contacts and burnished them with pencil eraser. Put a little copper based lube and the switch works great. Found same type of issue with another switch as well. Caution: some the switches have springs so open or disassemble in plastic bag. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.