Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

i just bought this bike, it's a '94 GW with 188k miles. runs excellent, has a little blue smoke but not bad (sort of to be expected in my eyes), Excellent condition overall. everything works except:

the fm radio doesn't pull in Anything.

and the reason i'm posting this, the alternator... i hooked up my meters and at idle it's putting out about 12.4-12.5, rev up and it puts out about 13.5 till i get over about 3500rpm then it drops to about 11.5-12. in a car this is obviously a bad alternator or something in the charging circuit, i assume the same of the goldwing?

also it may have a discharge somewhere on the battery, anything common i should check? i really don't feel like pulling off all the plastics!

Where is the alternator even at on this beast? i have not torn into a GL1500 yet.

·
Super Moderator
28,433 Posts
az,
Go to this website & you can download a manual there is a step by step procedure to determine what is happening.

http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/Downloads.htm

It does sound that way however you need to make sure battery is fully charged & good before starting tests.

Main fuses & battery on right under panels directly under seat, alternator on left under panels directly under seat. Easy to get to easy to test.

I actually changed mine recently to a compufire (for peace of mind) & it took me less than 1 hr & that was being mecticulous.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
At an idle the 1500 doesn't put out enough to charge the battery, but it should at about 2500 RPM's, there is a good chance your brushes are bad in the alternator, you could change them or upgrade to a compufire for peace of mind, if you have ant after market lights or accessories you need a bigger alternator than stock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts