Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to Goldwings as I bought a 1994 Goldwing GL 1500 Trike Wednesday and it hadn't been ridden much the last few years although it runs just fine. So I decided to start my own maintenance program amd schedule on it and so I had the local Honda Store do an oil change, install a new fuel fitler and install a new battery. Then I said to the service manager that I would also like a new air cleaner put on it and he said that replacing that was a 5 hour labor charge. So my question is how open do you have to replace the air cleaner and wow that seems like a lot of labor to replace an air filter.

I also ordered a new front tire online and have another shop that installs them that will put it on when it comes in next week. I put Sea foam in the gas and plan to for the next few tanks to get the carbs and upper engine cleaned out.

I'm getting use to the ride as it's nothing like my 2003 Honda 1800 VTX Trike.

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
Very nice looking setup!

This is the procedure.

Changing the Air filter in not hard just takes a little time.
1. Remove the seat.
2. remove the two acorn nuts at the back end of the radio, (they were covered by the front of the seat.)
3. Because of some tabs on the side of the radio panel that goes up the side of the fork tube, you have to remove the two fairing pockets.
4. Remove the plastic gussets that are attached to the radio panel where it goes around the fork.
5. Inside the gas filler door on each side there are two plastic levers, put you finger behind the back end and swing the forward. The radio can now be removed. If you don't want to mess with the connectors on the radio. Get one of your wife's best fluffy towel and cover one left side panel and left hang there. There sets the air box.
6. On the front there in a sensor plug disconnect that, and the two clips the hold the front of the box on.
7. Remove the screw on the front end and the rear and the cover will lift off.

If it filter is a KN filter it can be washed and reused. If it the stock filter just lift it out and put the new one.
Note: if it is K&N and you are going to put a stock filter in, be sure to remove the K&N gasket. If you don't things will go back together till you go to put the radio back on. Then nothing fits right.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
1. I would never visit that shop again, if it takes them 5hrs for an air filter change!
2. What kind of tire did you order? A lot of trike owners use a Stone BT45, mounted in reverse.
Here's a trike specific forum, where you can ask and learn:
http://www.lonestartrikes.com/
Click on "Ask the Installer" for the trike forum.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
1. I would never visit that shop again, if it takes them 5hrs for an air filter change!
2. What kind of tire did you order? A lot of trike owners use a Stone BT45, mounted in reverse.
Here's a trike specific forum, where you can ask and learn:
http://www.lonestartrikes.com/
Click on "Ask the Installer" for the trike forum.
The tire I bought was a Metzeler 130/70 18 made for the Goldwing. A Southern Cruiser member uses this tire on his Goldwing that's not triked and he says he averages 20K+ miles on a tire. It should be here by Tuesday and I hope to get it installed by the end of the week.

On my 1800 VTX Trike I go through a front tire every 6K miles and unfortunately there is only one tire made that fits my front rim. It's a Dunlop 130/80 18 as I had to change rims to a mag wheel when I had it triked because I had a spoked front wjheel on the VTX when I triked it.

I did a 240 mile ride on the 1994 Goldwing Trike with the Southern Cruisers yesterday and the Trike ran flawlessly. The engine and carbs were gunked up from siting these last few years so I added Sea Foam to the gas. On first fill up I averaged 30 MPG and on the second fill up I averaged 38 MPG so I think it's starting to get cleaned out. I'll keep adding it for a couple of more tank fulls of gas and then go to using it every few weeks. I put Sea Foam in the tanks my bikes and Bass Boat in the winter for storage.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Lots of members speak highly of Seafoam. As a maintenance (preventative), I used to use Bardahl Injectrkleen in my old Wings, worked great. One little bottle every 3-4 tankfuls

1 - 5 of 5 Posts