Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I've been working on cars, etc extensively for 50 years, and so far this problem has me stumped! After coming around a sweeping exit ramp and climbing a fairly steep hill, my 1500 sputtered then died with no warning. I had a full tank of gas. After 5 mins, it started and ran fine. I replaced the fuel filter. One week later, climbing a gradual hill, it sputtered like it was starved for fuel, but then came back without actually shutting down. Last week, after riding 150 miles with no problems, I came around the SAME exit ramp, climbed the SAME hill, and it died in the EXACT SAME SPOT!!?? This time, gas tank was 1/2 full. Again, waited 5 mins...started and ran fine. I'm trying to figure out if it's the fuel pump, but I don't think so. Each time it acted up, it was cooler weather...early morning or early evening, so I'm thinking perhaps a temp sensor, etc? I have to tell you....several Harleys passed me on the side of the road, and it was embarrassing...usually, it's the other way around! Thanks-any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You can test it. here's how
To do the test, go to any tool store & obtain a hand held vaccum guage. I got a brake vaccum tool ($25-$32 aprox. cost). It should have a guage on it that will go higher than 8-psi hg. vac. remove the vaccum line from the petcock assembly. Attach vaccum line from gauage to the petcock vaccum port. Squeeze handle repeatedly as necessary to obtain 7-8 psig hg. vaccum. It should hold vaccum for 3+ minutes. Be sure the vaccum line is tight & no leaks.

If it is good-remove guage vaccum line & reattach vaccum line from carburetor. The petcock assembly is ok!

If not-replace fuel pectcock assembly. OEM price can range from $125-$176

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just a thought you might want to check the Bank Angle Sensor. It could be going bad causing your problem especially since you are having the problem when the bike is leaning & on a incline when the problem occurs. This could shut off the fuel.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Joe, Thanks for your help! Between your suggestion and the one from "peppyone", I should be able to fix this thing. By the way, I hear a "sucking" sound whenever I remove the gas cap....does that reinforce your idea re: the petcock assembly?
Thanks again, guys!
Tim

·
Premium Member
11,001 Posts
There could be something in the gas tank that is floating in the tank.When the gas level get lower it can get pulled down and blockes the fuel to the petcock and stops or partially stops the gas suaply. As the presure is released because the motor has stopped it can allow it to float to the top again and therefore the gas can go interrupted to the petcock until it floats over and the gas level is low and can happen again. That happened to me with my car 30 years ago. In that case it was a black beetle. Could be worth investigating.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still haven't resolved the problem. I replaced the bank angle sensor, since my symptom was a "textbook" bank angle sensor problem, and believe it or not, it died in the EXACT same place it did the first two times after going around a right banking cloverleaf and climbing a hill! I checked the fuel pidcock, and it held vacuum okay. Next, I will check the vacuum line that connects to the fuel pidcock assembly for twists, kinks, etc. Why a problem in that area would happen intermittantly, I don't know, but it's worth a try. Thanks for your help, guys!

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Re: GL1500 1996 just died but
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.vencowings.com/

You can get the rebuild kit for the fuel shut off from these folks a lot cheaper then buying a new one. Good Folks to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
28,437 Posts
tvickrey,

I had a similar situation with my 95 about a year & half ago although mine never died completely just seemed as though it was starving for fuel. I was going to go through the test procedure when I found a guy on ebay selling a new fuel pump. It was reasonbly priced but different from OEM. I bought it & when it came in started to change the fuel pump as per instructions. What I found in the tank was alarming to say the least which was aproximately 1/2 cup of rust/debris. Since the 1500 fuel pump lays on it's side in the sump of the tank my thoughts were exactly what Eric said that as the tank depleted the debris sucked to the strainer. I still put the new pump in but cleaned the tank well before I did. I thought that Joe was correct after you told him about the vacuum in the tank but since that didn't pan out you may want to look in the tank. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: GL1500 1996 just died but
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.vencowings.com/

You can get the rebuild kit for the fuel shut off from these folks a lot cheaper then buying a new one. Good Folks to deal with.
Ron,
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm closing in on the problem. I have used my meter to check out every circuit on this bike, and here's what I've found: I have power INTO the Engine Control Unit (ECU), but DO NOT have power out FROM the ECU TO the fuel pump. If I disconnect the wiring harness from the ECU and jumper the "power in" wire to the "fuel pump power out" wire, the fuel pump works fine. I strongly suspect a bad ECU, but it'll be an expensive guess if I'm wrong. I have read that the function of the Bank Angle Sensor is to shut off the ignition AND the fuel. I figured out how it kills the ignition...the red & white wire from the BAS picks relay #6, which opens the run/stop switch on the handlebar. What I need to know is, does anybody know how the BAS shuts off the fuel?? It would seem to me it would do that by cutting off something in the ECU (like the power to the fuel pump), but before I buy a new ECU, I'd like to be more sure than I am at the moment. My problem APPEARS to be the actual ECU, but.......?! I appreciate anybody's input or suggestions...Thanks!

·
Registered
905 Posts
if the port in the gas cap is stoped up it will create a vacuum in the gas tank that will shut down the engine for a couple of minutes. make sure your gas cap can "breath"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts