Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 1800 VTX Trike to the Trike shop today to get and air compressor replaced and it was just the relay to the switch so they replaced it for free.

I was talking to the head guy and told that I bought a 1994 GL1500 Trike and he said that he just restored one and triked and it was the same year. Then he said the weak point on the 1500 GL was the alternator and they can fail without warning at about any time once you get near 50K miles. He said some go longer and some go shorter but that are a weak point in the system. So he tells me that there is a 90 AMP after market alternator that comes with a sealed battery and that's it costly but they have never had to replace one once it was installed.

So my question is does any of you have this after market Alternator and is it worth the money? The reason I'm asking is because I have plans to do a 2000 mile trip on it starting in three weeks and last prize is being broke down in the middle of no where.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
I have the Compufire with new battery on my 1993 and it's been worth it.
The original alternator went 'South' last year and it lasted a long time.
I run an extra set of tail lights on my Wing and when I'd apply the brakes, the lights would dim and then come back up. Now the lights don't dim when the brakes are applied and if I had the time I'd wire up the purple neons and not have to worry about not having enough juice.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the Compufire with new battery on my 1993 and it's been worth it.
The original alternator went 'South' last year and it lasted a long time.
I run an extra set of tail lights on my Wing and when I'd apply the brakes, the lights would dim and then come back up. Now the lights don't dim when the brakes are applied and if I had the time I'd wire up the purple neons and not have to worry about not having enough juice.
Thanks for the response this guy has always been straight with me and my trike has a bunch of lights on it and I think it's the right move to get it installed. I've had friends who have had motorcycles break down in some strange places and in two cases they had to rent Uhaul trucks to bring them home. That doesn't sound like a good time to me.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Never had the alternator go on my 1500, but I only had it for 5 years. Compufire sure seems the way to go though.

·
Premium Member
17,146 Posts
Go with the compufire. You can install it yourself. Just follow the instruction "very closely"
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts