Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My flashers don't work right ,when I push in the button the left side works but the right side dosent. to make it work I have to push the right blinker on so they both blink .Anybody have any suggestions for me to fix this problem thanks .40M

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Looking at the schematic drawing of 93 wings Hazard light circuit, it could be right there in the Hazard switch. The pulsed DC voltage from the relay is split in the Hazard switch sending one half to the left side and the second half to the right side..
You might try flushing the hazard switch with a good contact cleaner that won't harm plastic. Radio shack carries a good cleaner. I would try flushing the switch before tearing into it.
I've used it successfully on just about every switch on the GL 1500
If the left side is working I doubt it is the flasher relay since there is only one wire applying voltage to the switch and two leaving the switch, one going to each side.
Best of luck and keep us posted.
And if it's the same as the 93 the relay is under the trunk according to the Manual
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
37 Posts
i'm having the reverse of your problem. the hazards work correctly on my 97, and the right signals work, but the left signals do not.

·
Super Moderator
11,798 Posts
Good advice, Ron. The switch is usually the cause in most problems.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Check the manual and both right and left use the same flasher relay. To keep things simple again try flushing the turn signal switch with contact cleaner. Use the little red tube that comes with the can, put the end right in the little bit of space there is around the switch and spray, working the switch while you are spray. Put some shop rags around the switch. The right cleaner won't hurt the paint, but some nasty stuff will be running out.
Let us know how it goes.
Ron

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Good advice, Ron. The switch is usually the cause in most problems.
How true: last week end we had three wing from British Columbia stop here for the week end.
The 1500 was having starting issues. Sometime it would crank right up other times you'd have to push the starter button 3 or 4 time before it would crank. Flushed the switch good , and it started on the first try every time after that.
The 1800 trike was having an issue with the CB not transmitting all the time. Sometimes it would TX every time, then you might have to key it 3,4,5 times to get it to key up. Again Flushed the CB push to talk switch real good, problem solved.
I like to try the simple stuff first, if it don't would try something else, if it does work, You are a Hero:)
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ron thanks for the tip ,flushed switch then took for a ride about 15 min later switch started to work must have had dirt in it thanks again ride safe 40m

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Caulk up another one for Contact Cleaner.:)
Glad it worked out for. Might want to re-flush and work the switch while you are flushing. If you got any cleaner left, Flush the rest of the switch while your at it. Might head off a future problem. ( work the switch while you are Flushing)
Ron

1 - 8 of 8 Posts