Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, not really new to The forum but I haven't been too active. My alternator went out. Looked at a YouTube video, it looked easy enough. Nope!! I ended up having to take part most of the bike. The plastic is so brittle that I didn't want to bend anything to try to get that charging cable plugged in.

Anyways, there is a hose that comes out of the fuel cap. And I believe it goes to the bottom of the bike, and there is a splitter on it.. I'm not sure where that is supposed to go, I think it got knocked out as I was trying to get the alternator in. I still don't have the alternator and it is very difficult. Almost no tolerance is on it. Anyways I would like to just figure out where this hose is supposed to go.

Thank you for any of your help. I'll try and post some pictures. I'm not even sure that rubber hose actually goes on the end of it...

·
Super Moderator
28,738 Posts
So a few items of note, that appears to be the vent line for the cap (you are correct). That hose just terminates below the bike. I can not say for sure, but I suppose that could be part of the system on a California bike. Mine sits in place just like yours looks and that branch connects to nothing.

2ndly I am not sure why you are having difficulty with the alternator...it is about 1/2 hr job and believe me I have changed several (no discussion needed from my GWOF friends). Did you buy one of the oversized aftermarkets???? Or is it OEM?

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So a few items of note, that appears to be the vent line for the cap (you are correct). That hose just terminates below the bike. I can not say for sure, but I suppose that could be part of the system on a California bike. Mine sits in place just like yours looks and that branch connects to nothing.

2ndly I am not sure why you are having difficulty with the alternator...it is about 1/2 hr job and believe me I have changed several (no discussion needed from my GWOF friends). Did you buy one of the oversized aftermarkets???? Or is it OEM?
Okay cool . Thank you for the reply . I'll just secure the house at the bottom.. must just be a California mod that you just don't utilize if not in cali.

The alternator I bought looks to be about the same size as the last.. But there's barely enough room.. I'm having a very hard time backing out in and getting it installed. Almost had it but then broke a bushing, so now I have a set of those coming..I travel for work, had to leave the project alone, but now I'm thinking I just need to get the fuel vent cap hose out of the way and then that might be the truck.. literally in just missing a16th of an inch of space.. I'll get it.. Just not easy.

·
Super Moderator
28,738 Posts
Actually you want to change those thrust dampeners anyway, they become hardened with age.

It is a touchy thing to work the splines with the dampeners into position but it is not crazy, just need some patience. If the dampeners keep falling out of place, you can put a dab of vaseline on the face and that helps hold them in place.

Good luck

Reactions: Cantankerous

·
Registered
4 Posts

The" tee" is actually the vent the lower hose directs any liquid to the ground.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually you want to change those thrust dampeners anyway, they become hardened with age.

It is a touchy thing to work the splines with the dampeners into position but it is not crazy, just need some patience. If the dampeners keep falling out of place, you can put a dab of vaseline on the face and that helps hold them in place.

Good luck
Oh, well that's good. I have a set of four coming in from cyclemax. Those little bushings are expensive bought individually on various online sites. I'm hoping that I can get this alternator in successfully. I appreciate the insight.

·
Registered
196 Posts
There are quite a few videos on alternator installation. Maybe watch a few and see if they give you any helpful ideas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the videos, I watch that top one completely. Didn't have any problems getting it out. Just getting it in. It looks like I'm doing the same thing he is doing. I think what I'm going to do though is remove the fuel cap vent hose just temporarily for the installation, because I think that'll give me the little bit of space I need to get some more room and get the alternator in. I'll get it. I get to attempted this Saturday. I'm on the road for work. Thanks for the videos..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts