Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
During Daytona Bike week my alternator went out. The bike died while going down the road and was towed home. After getting home, I charged the new battery overnight then did a volt test. Alternator was dead, no output. I just got my new compu fire alternator and installed it with new rubber bushings. Start the bike and I am getting a grinding noise in front of alternator mounting. Took off new alternator and put old one back on. Same noise. Took off all alternators and taped up half of opening to keep engine oil in. Noise is gone. Check mount and the bolt is tight, turns with wrench. Put new alternator back on and noise is back but at least im getting voltage. Any suggestions what this noise is and what I need to do. Bike runs fine, noise does increase with RPM's. Did not make this noise prior to taking alternator off for the first time. Old rubber bushings were in poor shape.

Took alternator off again. Haynes manual calls the mounting an alternator coupling.

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Look this is just a quess; I think it maybe the new rubbers has it in a different location by a fraction of an inch. Try the old rubbers and see if the noise has gone. If it's still there back to the drawing board. Eric

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the old ones,same noise. I also played with rotating the connection a quarter of a turn. The noise has backed down but somewhat still there. I left the alternator bolted in tight, leaving it overnight. Im hoping what ever if is, the tightened alternator seats it.
Im out of ideas I guess my next step is a shop.
I did the same with the old stock alternator. Same noise. Noise came on after removing this old one.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
been playing with it changing the positions of the alternator and new rubber bumpers. After a couple of hundred of miles the noise is about gone. Output is good. I took it apart again looking for wear damage on the alternator or the coupler and can find nothing. Figure i should post an update in case it happens to someone else.

·
Premium Member
11,006 Posts
Thanks for letting us know the out come, because it may help us oneday. Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts