Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well this is the first time to post as i bought a goldwing not knowing much i got burnt
as i had a guy check it out after i got it he said it has a water leak and the oil looked real bad and a noise in the bottom end ????

ok i have a guy that does repair and has a salvage yard for bikes he tol me he has a motor for it with 28,000 mile install and parts for about 1,000 to 1200 bucks would it be worth it ?? it is a 1992 interstate the motor he has is a 1994 .

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
Firstly welcome to GWOF from Down Under. If it was me the second hand motor would go in. A we maintained goldwing can do 400k miles. So if the rest of the bike is good, you could have years of use out of that bike. As disapointing as it is now, all would not seem so bad in a couple of years. Eric

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well thank you down under for the info kinda what i was thinking on doing but the bike is fare to good shape for a 1992 thats why i got it didnt think i get burnt so i guess it is used motor time thanks again ride safe and enjpy as i will soon

·
Super Moderator
7,648 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I'd replace the motor and then you'll have a bike that will go for 300,000 miles and beyond.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Before you spend another dime on the bike, check it over completely.
Arm your self with as much information as you can, if the previous owner did not keep up with the maintenance what else is wrong? You need to pretty much go over every nut,bolt grommet,fuel line,brakes,forks, etc. who knows what has came loose or wore out over the years. Its better to know exactly what your bike needs and make an informed decision before spending more money. I bought a few years back a Yamaha Venture Royal for $2500 I spent over 1800 on it and I was no closer to making it road worthily than before I started.
I lost count of the missing bolts and rigged repairs that I found. I agree a Wing that is properly maintained can go for a long time. but it does not sound like yours was properly maintained. Also before you shell out for a new-used motor . The problem may be simple. you could cut the oil filter apart first to inspect for metal trapped inside this could give you a clue as to what is wrong inside the motor before you tear it down. If you plan on having someone do the work for you. this is even a worse problem as the mechanic can only warranty his work not the used engine. So you may be out more money and not be in any closer to ride. Just be carefully and trust no one when it comes to your safety.

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
after you have checked this wing out from top to bottom ask yourself if its worth putting another motor in or would it be better to look for another wing

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
Welcome Wing92. If the used engine is sound, then it's likely worth it. Has your buddy bench tested it?

·
Banned
3,120 Posts

Welcome from Seattle.

I own a 94 Interstate. Something that might be considered is that the Interstate is the low end of the Goldwings. It brings less money on resale. If you are going to ride this bike for 5 or 6 years, then $200 a year is not that much money to invest into a good motor/transmission that will go for a long time before it tires out. It might be worth your time to look at the differences in value on the different models for that year of bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts