Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP>>>>> this is a loud noise that comes from the engine. it goes away when the clutch is pulled in. you can hear and feel it throughout the right side of the engine. here is a list of things replaced before this noise started:

t-belts
tensioners
ignition advancer

the bike had been ridden for 30 miles or so before the noise started.
sounded like something in the valve train and could feel a vibration in the valve cover . so, i pulled the valve cover off. found nothing. pulled in the clutch and it stopped... next step was to pull the belt covers off because it sounded as if it was comming from the front of the engine. found nothing lose.. the sound is as if you had a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle with the exeption that the spokes are made of rebar and the card is 1/8 inch cold role steel...

some history... bike has 80k on it. has been converted to a trike. unsure of it ever having a clutch relpaced or heavier springs installed.

the clutch wa overheated in daytona last year and the bike hasnt been ridden much since.. the clutch was overheated to the point of not working at all untill it cooled off.

it does slip at high rpms. so my first thought is to put a clutch in it. second though is what else could it be making this hella loud noise and why does it go away when i pull in the clutch? alomost like a throwout bearing on a car but louder. clutch basket failure??damages from overheating to trans parts???

unsure what to do with it at this point. ny father inlaw owns the thing and i have been trying to sort out a number of issues with it and this one has proven to be strange enough to ask for some advise.

it does not jump out of gear.
shifts smooth as silk.
up or down
no metal pieces in the oil or oil filter
cam lobes look good.
alt bolts are tight

any questions or suggestions would greatly be appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks ron. we have not taken anything apart yet. so maybe this will kick him in the buttovator....

·
Registered
151 Posts
any chance your ignition adv plate has come loose. its mounted to the front of the motor under the cam belt covers. again if it did not make the noise before.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey Trykit

That sounds like the clutch pressure plate has seen its last days. would not ride it again until you change it or you will do more damage. Sounds like you made need whole clutch assembly at this point. can be don with engine in bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
re your suggestion

any chance your ignition adv plate has come loose. its mounted to the front of the motor under the cam belt covers. again if it did not make the noise before.
that was the first place i looked. but, nope.... thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
pressure plate

Hey Trykit

That sounds like the clutch pressure plate has seen its last days. would not ride it again until you change it or you will do more damage. Sounds like you made need whole clutch assembly at this point. can be don with engine in bike.
how do i know if the pressure plate is bad?

·
Registered
10 Posts
trykit, I recently had the same noise. The noise would go away when i pulled the clutch in. Then the ability to get the bike into 4th gear went away. The problem was with the front shift fork and the slider that engages 4th to 5th gear. Check my post 1990 goldwing assembly question. In the thread there is a link that Member oldshack replied to. oldshack put together a very informative site with the exact problem with the solution to my problem. I hope this is not your problem because of the fix is to pull the motor and break it down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts