Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does your Goldwing perfer a certain brand oil????? Im not crazy but i own a honda vt1100t & when it got close on miles to change oil i could tell it didn't shift as smooth as it would with fresh oil. Has anyone noticed this with the GW? Does it seem to run shift smoother/run smoother with certain brand of oil? I put in castrol 10w40 its made for wet clutches. t would like to hear from some of yall that have had goldwings thru the years. The bike has 82k miles hopefully thats not too bad for 1990 model bile. I really love this bike its amazing !!!! like no other bike i have been on. I may try Lucas oil or Amsoil ???? any ideals?? Thanks for ideals. Larry

·
Super Moderator
10,928 Posts
The Amsoil tends to make the shifts smoother and less clunky. 82K, why it's just broken in!

·
Premium Member
17,168 Posts
I'm using Amsoil in my 99SE, but also used Shell Rotela T6 in the Blue container. in my 93 for well over 100,000 miles. But I changed it every 3000-4000 miles.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've been using Moblie 1 4T in my 89 and have no problems. Shifting is smooth even without the clutch. I change it when it starts to darken which is usually between 4 - 5k miles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
I use Castrol 10W-40 car oil in my 88. I change it every year or 8K miles, what ever comes first. Shifts are smooth as silk. I have used this oil in a lot of bikes over the years without any problems. I tried Castrol motorcycle oil, shifting was not smooth. Went back to the car oil, back to smooth shifts.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have only ever used the oil recommended in the owner's manual.

I'm not sure why, because I used Mobil 1 for years before that was recommended in my trucks, but I guess I'm just a rule follower when it comes to the bike.

Well, that and I hope to own it a lot longer than I own my trucks.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have and do use Castrol 10w40 in my Wings for a total of 80k miles

I use Castrol in my wifes Camry as well, just a different weight

·
Super Moderator
27,566 Posts
Always used GN4 in the old 1500. When I got the current 1500 switched to Mobil 1, but now an Amsoil convert.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
13,826 Posts
Amsoil for me too. I noticed smoother shifting when I switched and have stuck with it.

·
Super Moderator
15,013 Posts
castrol t4 10w 40 or 20w 50 depending on what time of year it is

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just did this research and Amsoil 10w40 synthetic seems to be the top choice. It's expensive but I got a decent price through the Amsoil website. I might try Amsoil gear oil too but there are so many of them I'm not sure which one to get (and none of them mention motorcycles as an application).

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hmm... maybe I'll buy some oil thru the website as well.

I hear Amsoil makes some good gear oil. I'm not positive but I think I'm using Honda hypoid shaft drive oil. I have a bottle of it in my garage someplace. :smile2:

·
Registered
6,079 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Thomas. There are almost as many opinions about oil as there are about tires. Please enjoy the discussions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts