Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have previously submitted a post on a transmission problem. Once that is repaired I will have to put the two halfs of the block back together. In the Tech manual it shows a ring compression tool. (i dont have those) so I am wondering if anyone has assembled these blocks with a alternate tool?? I am thinking about using some strips cut from a 2 liter bottle and some zip ties to compress the rings. Any other ideas for plan B?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
rc, Sounds like it would work but I know ring compression tools aren't alot of money. not sure I would take a chance on breaking a ring. That's what happens if rings aren't compressed properly when sliding in cylinder. Just one mans opinion.

·
Registered
691 Posts
rc
I have never been into the guts of a wing but have built many bike engines. Your idea may work if the plasttic is stiff enough to keep the ringss in and solid while inserting the pistons. However, a good ring compression tool is an enexpensive item and I strongly suggest useing one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi RC,

A year ago last Christmas I did the very job you are doing. I understand the stress and trepidation you are enduring. It sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it though. I outlined some highlights of that job on the tech page of my webpage that may be helpful to you. Here is a quicklink to that page. http://oklahomawing.com/transmission.htm
If I can be of any assistance to you or you have more questions, please, feel free to email me at [email protected]
Good luck Bobby

·
Registered
151 Posts
hi rc. a ring compressor can be made out of a 4" hose clamp, but honda was kind on doing this job as they put large tapers on the bottoms of the cyl walls to ease assembly. some slippery assembly lube on rings an cyls an they will go together smoothly. STP works ok. if you use a ring compressor make sure it comes apart to remove it. good luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have it back together. i used two slices of a two liter bottle about 2 in wide and a zip tie. it worked great, i also put a piece of string at the bottom of the strips so i could just pull them out when the rings were in the cylinder. I used needle nose pliers to grab the zip tie and a pair of cutters to cut the tie. all went well. Thanks for the link. the trans parts are identical to the parts worn on my bike. i replaced the same items listed in the oklahomawing link. Thanks all...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ronzilla, thanks for the heads up. I have noticed that when bench testing the shifting that once in awhile when in a gear the output shaft will only rotate a turn either way and stop but when i shift to another gear its fine. I oiled up the shift drum and forks. when i checked the gears they did not seem to be binding at all, nicely meshed up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Up and running

All, thanks for the assistance. I have the engine back together and running great. Shifts in all gears. Again thanks.

Rick

·
Registered
7 Posts
can't find your original post

Hey,
this is my first day on here and stumbled on your post. I also have a 1990 and am having tranny woes. Started chattering and making noise in the morning at high idle and then all the time when not under acceleration. I was under the impression that a salvage motor was in order...You have another fix or was your problem different?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome, The chattering that I had would chatter when the bike idled in neutral or in gear with the clutch in. When i tore down the motor the problem was the slider that engages 4th and 5th gear. I also was unable to get the bike to go into 4th or 5th gear. there is a replacement part out that is sturdier than the OEM part but unfortunately the engine must come out and apart to replace it. If you read further back in this thread from oldshack he posted a website that has a very good explanation of the problem and cure to this problem. This is not saying your problem is the same but the symptoms are the noise from the engine listed above and unable to get into 4th or 5th gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts