Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am repairing my 90 goldwing trans. had a problem with getting into 4th gear. I removed the engine and dissasembled the engine to find the front shift fork burnt and worn. the inside edges of 4th and 5th gear are a little worn. I have ordered and received the shifter, rr P/N 23485-MT8-000 this is the part that slides on the mainshaft to engage 4th or 5th gear. the P/N changed to 23010-MAM-305. The new part fits and engages the gears however the teeth on the slider are different than the original part. there are less teeth but the teeth are larger. there is more slack in 4th gear than the original part. my question is did Honda change the design of this part? I would like to confirm this before I put it all back together.
I am replacing the shift drum, shift forks, 4th and 5th gears and the engagement slider between 4th and 5th gear. thanks for any info on this.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF rcpalmer. sorry i can't be of any assistance for you, i haven't had to do the work you are doing

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Wish I could be of some assistance, but you've gone where this man has never gone before. I'm sure others on the board can and will help. Still lots of riding time left. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After doing some checking on the part number 23010-MAM-305 i have discovered that this must be an improvement from honda to eliminate the problems with chatter in the gear box from the slider hitting the 4th and 5th gear and bending the shift fork. If anyone has further info on this i would like to know. Seems there is a problem with the original design. The original problem started as a chatter in the engine (slider hitting the 4th and 5th gear) then i could not get 4th gear to engage. The shift fork was burnt from the friction and the inside of 4th and 5th gear cogs worn.

·
Registered
690 Posts
... Howdy ... I Wonder If There Is A Recall On The Slider And Shifting Fork ... Also You Are Farther Into The Engine/trans. Than I Would Have The Guts To Go ... I've Done The Tranny's On My Dirt Bikes ... But A 'wing' Not Me ... Happy Trails ...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts