Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks

I just bought a 1990 GL1500 Wing.. with 85000 km on it.
I had a great deal and the bike is in awesome shape

the only problem on it.. is this

When I put the cruise control on. It is jerky.. speeding up and slowing down and does not keep steady speed.

Not sure if it has anything to do with it. But the speedometer needle is not really steady either..

The rest.. goes perfect ..

Thank you very much

Paul

·
Super Moderator
11,785 Posts
I'm not positive, but I believe the cruise input is taken off the speedometer cable. If the cable is binding it will throw off the cruise. I would start at lubricating the cable.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not positive, but I believe the cruise input is taken off the speedometer cable. If the cable is binding it will throw off the cruise. I would start at lubricating the cable.
Kewl..

They are calling for some rain this week.
Will figure out how to do it and will give it a try

Thanks

Paul

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Cantankerous

I oiled it today and it started working perfectly.
I have ordered a new cable and will change it when I receive it.
After that. Someone told me I should oil it every 10k km.. so.. this is what I will do

Thank

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Cantankerous for the great advice! The cruise on my '88 GL1500 started to accelerate on its own without warning and at the same time the speedometer needle would jiggle. Upon inspection the speedo cable was still turning but noisey and rusty in the upper 8 inches. After cleaning and lubricating all works fine. I will order a replacement right away.
Thanks again!
Don

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Way to go, you Cantankerous old bugger.

You beat me to it.:D
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

1 - 6 of 6 Posts