Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

just got a 1500 goldwing with only 52,000 kms, i've put about 1000 kms on it and the tachometer has gone erractic it reads about double
what it should, the engine is runnig fine, the tach is reading to high.

thanks in advance
Derek

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Derek, welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Congrats on your new (to you) Wing. Has the tach ever worked correctly since you bought it? I'm also going to ask a dumb question... How do you know the tach is double. Can you give us an example? (like at idle what does it read, at 60 mph??)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi

yes the tach worked properly @ the begining ,and then it doubled

the bike is idling @ 2000 rpm.

thanks Derek

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't feel alone

I just came to this forum because my 1989 1500 just started doing the same thing. A buddy told me it sounded like a sensor. I was hoping someone has already conquerred this problem. not looking good. Will let you know if I get it figured out. Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just check water level and it was low. After i filled water the tach dropped to normal reading. Don't ask my why, i am just passing on info.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The Tach on my '88 GL 1500 about doubled its reading a couple of times this spring. It was warm enough that I started without the choke but when I used the throttle to speed up the warm-up the tach speed doubled and stayed there for the duration of the ride. Throttle acceleration was also very sluggish. I switched to twisting the throttle a couple of times before starting and the problem was gone. However this morning (60 degrees F) about 2500 miles later, the tach speed was more than double and the motor ran very labored under load. I shut it off and restarted a couple of times with no change. I made it the 25 miles to work and parked on the center stand. This afternoon (80 degrees F) the bike started normally and the tach behaved. On a 90 mile ride she behaved flawlessly. The antifreeze level in the overflow is spot on. Any ideas?
Thanks, Don

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Well, that's three members posting the same problem and I've never heard of this one before:confused:. Hopefully somebody has an idea...hate intermittant stuff:(

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
The Wings have a sensor in the water jacket that will cause the tachometer to read double if the water level is low. I won't get into the technical end of it right now, mainly because I'm tired. :)

·
Super Moderator
28,455 Posts
I won't get into the technical end of it right now, mainly because I'm tired.

I don't know if you realize this or not but sometimes you really can be cantankerous.:D:D:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts