Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow 'wingers!
I have owned this bike for 3 years now but i didn't get an owner's manual with it so I'm also a member of the "Learn as You Ride" club!
I just noticed that the front suspension was riding very low and leaking some fork oil on my last ride. After surfing the 'net for more info, I have seen a few references to the forks being air-assisted but I have never seen anyplace to add/remove air. Was this info incorrect? Has anyone ever rebuilt the forks on their bike? After a recent estimate of $640 to have the Honda shop rebuild mine, I'm considering doing it myself!

Any input is greatly appreciated!

MT

·
Registered
692 Posts
... HOWDY ... A COUPLE THINGS WE NEED TO KNOW ... WHAT MODEL IS IT - HOW MANY MILES - HOW ARE YOU'RE MECHANIC SKILLS ... AND DO YOU HAVE A SERVICE/REPAIR MANUAL FOR THAT YEAR AND MODEL ( I RECOMMEND A "HONDA MANUAL" BECAUSE THE OTHERS ie: clymers books have bad info in them ... SOOO ... REPOST WITH THIS INFO. AND OTHER MEMBERS AND MYSELF WILL SEE IF WE CAN'T HELP YOU ... HAPPY TRAILS ... P.S. I LIVE IN OREGON ALSO ... LAKESIDE SOUTH COAST ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It's an '88, GL1500...that's all I've got for you as far as model/year. It's got about 49K on it. I'm a fair mechanic, used to be on a pit crew for an asphalt circle track car, ran a crankshaft grinder for 15 yrs., built a few engines, change my own oil, plugs, etc. I was concerned about what kind of special tools I may need to do a rebuild job on the forks as I have never torn a set down before, even though I have owned and maintained a few dirt bikes. The previous owner did give me a Honda service manual for an '89.
I love it out here in the PacNW, moved here from MO 5 years ago. GREAT place to ride!

MT

·
Registered
692 Posts
... Howdy ... Is It A 1500 Se-i Or Aspencade ??? ... You Have The Skills To Do The Seals ... I'm Not Sure If All 88 1500's Have Airforks Or Not ... Have You Seen Anything About An Onboard Aircompressor ??? As Far As Special Tools I'm Not Sure If Any Are Required On Air Forks Or Not ... But Standard Forks Don't Require Any To My Knowledge ... Just Be Careful Not To Scratch Or Damage The Fork Legs ... And Don't Nick Or Twist New Seals When Replacing Them ... Someone Else Will Jump In Here And Let You Know About Special Tools For Airforks ... Also You Might Start Thinking About Changing The Belts If A Belt Breaks The Valves Will Drop And Hit The Pistons ... Happy Trails ...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, ronzilla.
It's not an Aspencade and I'm pretty sure it's not an SE either...just a plain ol' wing. It does have an onboard compressor for the rear air shock and tire inflation, but I've never seen it affect the forks. Just really bummed beacause riding season is here and my ride is broke!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts